• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking company have obtained CCJ against wrong person for parking fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking company have obtained CCJ against wrong person for parking fine

My friend got a parking ticket which he basically ignored and the upshot is that the parking company (one with over a thousand negative reviews) have slapped a CCJ on his son, who shares same name bar middle name; amount just over £300. The son's address is not in the public domain, so how they obtained it is a complete mystery. The son can get CCJ removed by paying the fine. I've told my mate best to pay the fine to ensure CCJ doesn't go on his son's record, but what recourse does his son have? The CCJ just states christian and surname, and it's a common name as well. Thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Vitamin33 View Post
    My friend got a parking ticket which he basically ignored and the upshot is that the parking company (one with over a thousand negative reviews) have slapped a CCJ on his son, who shares same name bar middle name; amount just over £300. The son's address is not in the public domain, so how they obtained it is a complete mystery. The son can get CCJ removed by paying the fine. I've told my mate best to pay the fine to ensure CCJ doesn't go on his son's record, but what recourse does his son have? The CCJ just states christian and surname, and it's a common name as well. Thanks for any advice.
    A set aside application 'with consent' costs about £108, but apps should be prompt.
    Who is the parking co?
    Where did the court papers go? (For the son).
    ignorantia juris non excusat

Comment

Originally posted by JMcG View Post

A set aside application 'with consent' costs about £108, but apps should be prompt.
      Who is the parking co?
      Where did the court papers go? (For the son).
      Thank you JMCG. My mate's son has asked for it to be set aside on basis should be for his dad, but they want signed statement confirming his dad's personal details. See screenshot. My mate doesn't want his son to provide those details, but unless he does he's stuck with the CCJ. Is there another way round this? Papers went to his aunt's house where he was temporarily staying, hence a total mystery how they got that address. Company is Parking Eye. IF he pays the fine and CCJ gets removed, will that be the end of it, as far as son is concerned, i.e. will it wiped from his credit record? Thanks a lot.

Comment

See attached screen shot of info they want
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you JMCG. My mate's son has asked for it to be set aside on basis should be for his dad, but they want signed statement confirming his dad's personal details. See screenshot. My mate doesn't want his son to provide those details, but unless he does he's stuck with the CCJ. Is there another way round this? Papers went to his aunt's house where he was temporarily staying, hence a total mystery how they got that address. Company is Parking Eye. IF he pays the fine and CCJ gets removed, will that be the end of it, as far as son is concerned, i.e. will it wiped from his credit record? Thanks a lot.
          Imho, they have no right to demand an alternative name to transfer liability.
          If they have secured a default CCJ against a person, they deal with that person.
          They can ask....but not necessarily get.
          If they've pursued the wrong person, but won't consent to a set aside, this could be regarded as unreasonable.
          If they don't play fair, a 'without consent' application could be made.But, like gambling , nothing is guaranteed in a court case.
          When was the default CCJ handed down?
          Last edited by JMcG; 8th February 2023, 17:35:PM.

Comment

Imho, they have no right to demand an alternative name to transfer liability.
            If they have secured a default CCJ against a person, they deal with that person.
            They can ask....but not necessarily get.
            If they've pursued the wrong person, but won't consent to a set aside, this could be regarded as unreasonable.
            If they don't play fair, a 'without consent' application could be made.But, like gambling , nothing is guaranteed in a court case.
            When was the default CCJ handed down?
            Thank you again, JMCG. Judgement notice is dated 18th January. So not much time left to pay. Given parking company's dreadful reviews, I'm thinking he should pay it first, and then look at going back to parking eye and asking for reimbursment, but is that a daft idea? Is it a case of once paid the matter is closed? My mate's son is none too happy and I'm now mediating between them lol Thanks for your help

Comment

Thank you again, JMCG. Judgement notice is dated 18th January. So not much time left to pay. Given parking company's dreadful reviews, I'm thinking he should pay it first, and then look at going back to parking eye and asking for reimbursment, but is that a daft idea? Is it a case of once paid the matter is closed? My mate's son is none too happy and I'm now mediating between them lol Thanks for your help
              If it were me it would be one or t'other....pay or fight.

Comment

If it were me it would be one or t'other....pay or fight.
                I understand and agree. I think it should be paid, and then maybe ask the parking company for what paperwork they've got on file, if any. I say this as I'm thinking if the set aside was to fail and CCJ ended up sticking for some crazy reason son will suffer and so will relationship between fathr and son. For £300 not worth it. But one final question, please, will son's record be unblemished if the fine is paid? Thanks vm

Comment

How did this CCJ get "slapped"? Did son receive claim form and bin it? What about pre-action letters?
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                    How did this CCJ get "slapped"? Did son receive claim form and bin it? What about pre-action letters?
                    Hi Atticus, I'm not totally sure of sequence, seems like dad said he'd deal with it, write letter explaining they had wrong person, but didn't. Son had already paid it by time I phoned him, so he'd made that decision. So over really, except for family tension! That'll take a while to repair by sounds of it. Thank you .

Comment

This saga continues. Son wants to make application to set CCJ aside, but he's paid it, so can anyone tell me if that's possible? They are now at major loggerheads over this. My mate's coming to stay this weekend, so I can help him with N244 form on behalf of his son (as son says dad should take care of it) if this route is still available. Thanks vm

Comment

I must admit to be more than puzzled with your explanation.
                        Exactly who has a CCJ against their name?
                        Are father & son domiciled at the same address?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          I must admit to be more than puzzled with your explanation.
                          Exactly who has a CCJ against their name?
                          Are father & son domiciled at the same address?
                          Thanks, and sorry, CharityNJW, even I have been getting confused. They used to live at same address. Son has the CCJ but it was sent to a different address that is not in public domain, and is not rightfully his but his dad's. I think a claim form must have been sent at some point, but no idea if it was received. The fine has been paid, as son's credit score would have been affected. Not sure what they will do from here. My mate's visitng tomorrow, so sure I'll find out more then.

Comment

Let us know what transpires.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              Let us know what transpires.
                              I will do. Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X