• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strike Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike Out

sorry another question. I believe I have to start a new thread for each question?

I've just been reading a few court cases where the defendant won against the Parking firms.

"She says in her witness statement that she was not the driver, but even if I ignore everything that Miss X has produced and look solely at the evidence that is produced by the claimant, the claimant comes nowhere close to satisfying me on a balance of probabilities that the defendant was the driver at the time. They may have had a claim had they complied with the requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act, but they have not and they cannot pursue Miss X on the basis of a breach of contract in the absence of any evidence at all that she was actually the driver at the time of the incurrence of the parking charge notice. 8. As a result of that ruling it seems to me that everything else falls away because the whole claim is based on the breach of contract. So I do not need to deal with any of the other issues that have been raised by the defence. So the judgment will simply be claim dismissed.

The verdict was because the Keeper cannot be responsible if Co hadn't adhered to the Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to the requirements prescribed by section 9 (2) (e)of the Act.

In other words the Keeper cannot be held responsible for payment of charge.

If that is the case surely the Co in question cannot issue proceedings against the Keeper. Could the Keeper not apply for a "Strike Out" on the grounds that they have no success of winning

It’s a baseline rule in law. You can’t advance a case which isn’t recognised by law.
    Courts have a series of grounds upon which to strike out statements of case. They include: no reasonable grounds to bring the claim

Cases suitable for strike out include:
    • the claimant or defendant raises an unwinnable case
    cases where the claim or defence is not valid as a matter of law.
    The claimant has no reasonable chance of success

I may be wrong here but seems to make sense to me. Maybe someone more versed in the law could point out any errors I have made in presuming this.
    Last edited by Albierose26; 12th December 2022, 21:12:PM.
    Tags: None

please do not start a thread for each question about the same subject - keep them all on one it is much easier for us all

Comment

A Claimant can always issue proceedings. Ultimately it is for the judge to decide whether the claim succeeds or fails.

A strike out should only be considered if it is clear from the face of the pleadings that on the claimant's own case the claim cannot succeed. Alternatively, a defendant may apply for summary judgement on the basis that the claimant has no realistic prospect of success.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Also is it true that if someone does something criminal then they therefore cannot take someone to court based on their criminal act. Sorry to be a bit vague but I read it somewhere and can't find the link.

Comment

There is also 2 signs from different companies. One says Paid parking etc etc and the other one says No Parking at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by pam56 View Post
            There is also 2 signs from different companies. One says Paid parking etc etc and the other one says No Parking at any time.
            You already asked that question on another thread.(https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-s-responsible)
            My response is unchanged

Comment

Originally posted by pam56 View Post
              Also is it true that if someone does something criminal then they therefore cannot take someone to court based on their criminal act. Sorry to be a bit vague but I read it somewhere and can't find the link.
              As previously,

A Claimant can always issue proceedings. Ultimately it is for the judge to decide whether the claim succeeds or fails.
              There may be a defence to the claim.

Here's a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=ex+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X