• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN's issued for car I had sold - Baliff's now involved.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN's issued for car I had sold - Baliff's now involved.

Hi all,

In*a bit of a ludicrous situation and any help would be gratefully received as it's driving me slightly insane.

Some background: I sold a car on 01/08/19 and the subsequent owner appears to have racked up a number of PCN's in the London Borough of Enfield (not where I live). The first I knew of this is when I received the letters demanding full payment through the post. I contacted the DVLA and they provided me with a letter confirming the original change of date. The full text of which is as follows;

'Thank you for your enquiry about the above vehicle. I can confirm you are no longer shown as the keeper of the vehicle from 01/08/2019. Your disposal notification was received on 08/11/19 and our records were updated on 08/11/19. You should return any statutory notices for an offence/contravention that took place after you sold/transferred the vehicle to the issuing authority. Give them what details you can. Only the issuing authority can make a decision based on the evidence you provide.'

So I sent an appeal to Enfield council including a copy of this letter. This was outside the 28 days, as I had to wait 14 days for the DVLA to send their letter - I did email Enfield Council to explain I was waiting for this and would send on as soon as I had it, which I did.

I subsequently received no email by return rejecting this - but did receive a letter of Notice of Rejection for one of the PCN's via post. Subsequently, i've received an Order for Recovery from Northampton court.
    I feel like i'm completely mad as firstly, how can the council reject an appeal which clearly shows (with DVLA evidence!) that I did not own the vehicle. Northampton court say they will not consider the substance of the appeal, only the council. So how on earth can I get these struck off?!

The situation has been made worse in that one of the two PCN's that has gone to the court is now with Baliffs (Marstons), as I was away and did not receive the Order of Recovery in time. They are saying that the DVLA letter is not enough as, I quote, 'it can be backdated'. But surely only by the DVLA?! They also say that they require the letter, a receipt (I only have a paper one as cars are mainly sold for cash) and notice of cancellation of insurance (which I did not do til the next month due to being busy - annoying for me as I had to pay an extra month but surely not proof of anything?)

Honestly, any advice would be so gratefully received as I feel like i'm in an insane situation where they're attempting to prosecute me for contraventions on a car I didn't own and have DVLA proof to back that up. I'm happy to provide any more info or clarify anything i've been unclear about! This is a problem as there are currently 5 PCN's outstanding* - one with Baliffs, one with NCC and three still with Enfield. The guy who bought it clearly didn't understand the concept of yellow lines...
    Tags: None

Have you applied to the Traffic Enforcement Centre for an Out of Time?

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...t-centre-forms

https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/in...ent-centre-tec

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X