• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart parking Fistral Beach wrong vrn entered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart parking Fistral Beach wrong vrn entered

Hi all,
    We recently received a parking charge notice from Smart.
    We parked at Fistral beach and paid for a ticket. Inadvertently i have entered a letter o in place of a zero.
    We still have the ticket from the car park.
    I naively appealed the pan with Smart assuming common sense would prevail and they would cancel it.
    They did not so i now have to appeal to Popla.
    I do not know if i have any grounds to appeal, it was a genuine error but it seems this is not enough.
    It seems so wrong when the parking fee has been paid. Can anyone give me any advice how to proceed.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Smart parking Fistral Beach wrong vrn entered

Did you ID the who was driving?

& yes, entering the wrong reg by mistake could well be grounds for defence/appeal.

But for some strange reason, Smart won't tell you that.

Go figure!
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I think in the appeal submitted i have probably admitted to driving i can't remember exact wording as it was online. At that stage i did not realise it mattered.
      I have since tried to read up on everything but finding a similar defence is difficult. I got the impression i need a proper legal argument for popla but i can't work out exactly what that would be other than stating my genuine error.

Comment

That's what I hate about those on-line response forms.

I always copy/paste onto email and email myself a copy straight away as proof & for reference.

Do you have the original postal Notice to Keeper?

If so, post it up anyway (front & rear, obscure personal details but leave all dates/times visible).

Also worth reading this, as it is what may happen if it went to a real court of law, so POPLA should take notice.
        http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/11/mum-wi...-lady-6770151/
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The font for number plates has the same shape for "OH" and "Zero". It is not your mistake, you typed in what was on the number plate in front of you. How can every person that drives a UK registered car be expected to know the particular format of that VRN?

Comment

Thank you i will have read of link. Also i will look for original letter.
            Yes you are right o and 0 look the same on reg plate that hadn't occurred to me.

Comment

Additionally their ANPR camera has already read the VRN so they knew the details of the cars in the car park but their equipment will still allow customer to enter a number for a car that is not in the car park when they could so easily flag the error. Not flagging gives them additional opportunities to add charges.

Comment

Have attached letters hopefully, not really sure what I am doing!
                Attached Files

Comment

The pic of the NtK is a bit fuzzy, but appears to be a fairly standard template &, if it's their usual one, it will probably not be PoFA compliant.
                  But if you've already ID'd the driver, that will be a moot point.
                  However, arguments re the de minimis registration mistake should still fly.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X