• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA reveal benefit details on line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA reveal benefit details on line

Has anybody else come across this, and what do you think about it?

Many thanks to Benefits And Work for this update on this story.
    DVLA are refusing to back down over publishing details of who gets certain disability benefits in a vehicle registration look-up service on their website.
    Yesterday Benefits and Work revealed that a new vehicle check service on the DVLA website allows visitors to find out whether their neighbours are receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA) or either rate of the mobility component of personal independence payment (PIP).
    We asked DVLA for a statement, which we have now received.
    A DVLA spokesperson told Benefits and Work:
    “The Vehicle Enquiry Service does not include any personal data. It allows people to check online what information DVLA holds about a vehicle, including details of the vehicle’s tax class to make sure that local authorities and parking companies do not inadvertently issue parking penalties where parking concessions apply.
    “There is no data breach – the information on a vehicle’s tax class that is displayed on the Vehicle Enquiry Service does not constitute personal data. It is merely a descriptive word for a tax class.”
    Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be much of a defence.
    The road tax for a car in band F, for example, is £145. The car will be in band F regardless of who owns it.
    But if you get the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA then you will be exempt from paying that £145 tax. If someone else buys the car off you, however, and they do not receive a mobility benefit then they will pay the full band F tax.
    What DVLA is doing is not publishing the car’s tax class – that remains the same whoever the owner is – they are publishing details of the exempt status of the individual who currently owns it.
    That is personal data about the individual, not data about the vehicle.
    The claim that it is necessary to make this information public to ensure that local authorities and parking companies do not apply parking penalties is extremely questionable.
    If that was the sole purpose, then the database could be on a site where access is restricted only to local authorities and parking companies. There is simply no reason for this information to be made available to the entire population – except that it is cheaper and more convenient to do so
    From 1 October tax discs are being phased out and there will no longer be a requirement for you to display one on your vehicle. So, the only way that anyone will be able to discover if you are exempt from paying vehicle tax on the grounds of disability will be to access the new DVLA database.
    There are many people who clearly have a condition that would allow them to claim DLA or PIP mobility. But there are also many other people with conditions such as ME/CFS where it will not be apparent at all - and they may prefer the fact that they are disabled to remain unknown to their neighbours.
    In addition, many thousands of claimants are eligible for the standard rate of PIP mobility solely because they have an ‘invisible’ mental health condition which, again, they may not wish their neighbours to be aware of.
    One of the most common tips for surviving life on benefits sent to us by claimants earlier this year was never to tell anyone who didn’t need to know that you were claiming benefits. There is such a degree of prejudice and hostility towards sick and disabled claimants that many people wish to keep their benefits status confidential.
    DVLA, however, have decided that for the sake of their convenience those people will have to put up with this information being made available online.
    If the DWP were to provide a similar service on their website allowing you to look up who is getting disability benefits there would be an outcry.
    What DVLA are doing is no different – and no more defensible.
    Readers who are concerned that their personal data is being made available in this way may want to contact DVLA and the information commissioner’s office.
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA reveal benefit details on line

Start a petition on Change.org

Comment

I doubt that this would stand up to scrutiny by ICO. Time for a test complaint.

Comment

IMO and I know I will be slated for it, I agree with it. How many times have we seen stories of Bailiffs placing a levy on a car registered to a disabled user? The measures do not identify why the vehicles owner is claiming.

Sorry everyone, but that is my personal opinion, if someone can convince me otherwise I am all ears (and many of you who know me that is literally true)
        Last edited by Tools; 5th July 2014, 18:07:PM.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Good point Tools, and it would be useful as you indicate; but DVLA are a shocking incompetent shower, and they are daft enough to post the details of the Credit/Debit card someone uses to pay their road tax online with the other publically available data.

Comment

............. and that info could be posted on a site with access restricted to LAs, police, EAs etc. It does not have to be on a site open to public scrutiny.

And I have no axe to grind on a personal basis as I am not in receipt of DLA, although I have friends who are. They are not happy with this info being made available to all and sundry.

Comment

There is no shame in claiming benefits to which you are entitled, that stigma should be dead and buried. Most people have "paid in" throughout their working life and if entitled should not be ashamed to receive such benefits. The story has been blown out of proportion ( as usual to grab attention to it ) otherwise who cares that Mrs Smith at No.42 claims DLA, she is 84 and we all know she can't get about like she used to. If people are so inquisitive to enter a neighbours registration number into the DVLA database just to see if they are claiming benefits then who does the fault lay with? The DVLA or the curtain twitcher at No.40?

Most people have bigger things to worry about.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

No one is talking about shame. This is about peoples right to privacy.
                If you think it's right for the DVLA to publish the exempt status of individuals at what point do you think it is wrong for the government (or its agencies) to publish personal data.
                Little by little we lose our freedoms, and now our privacy.

Comment

I, like tools, am a little perplexed why this is an issue.

My sister has a fully exempt vehicle, and currently she has a tax disc, and right across the bit that states how much it cost is the phrase "DLA Exempt" or something very similar.

Oddly she is not worried if the neighbours see this, as they have for many years, because it was there for all to see.

So now instead of it being displayed across her tax disc that EVERY person can see, it will now be on a database that only nosey folk will bother finding about. In many ways this will actually giver her more protection from prying eyes.

Oh don't forget this is the same with the MIB Insurance Database for £4 you can check the ownership of the car, and that shows as Mobility Scheme!
                  Last edited by TalbotWoods; 6th July 2014, 11:28:AM. Reason: Spelling, which is getting worse (sorry dont care abuout the Grammar)

Comment

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I was wondering when someone would realise this :tinysmile_twink_t2:

As ever I am open to reasoned debate and willing to change my opinion if given reason to do so. My reason for questioning the story is that many "readers" jump to conclusions, grab their pitchforks and storm through the village based on a headline without dissecting the story deeper.

My original post was made to provoke a wider discussion on the merits of the story. So now we have seen that the vehicle taxation class is prominently displayed currently as "DISABLED" for all to see, how many people currently in this taxation class complain about this?

Once tax discs begin to disappear from our widscreens in October this year and the curtain twitchers would then have to go online to directly search before knowing the vehicle is taxed as "DISABLED", do you not think this is a better protection of privacy than exists right now?

So maybe the Author of the story has put completely the wrong spin on it, maybe they should be praising the DVLA? But I doubt that would get the attention the Author wanted.

Comment

The original post was sent me by a disabled friend, who was quite angry about the situation.
                        The fact that the present paper tax disc says "DISABLED" doesn't mean that a new system must. There was an opportunity to remove one more label from those who already are labelled (in some quarters) as spongers, cheats etc.
                        This is a quote from a disabled person (on another forum) which is typical of the experience of disabled people:
                        "But there are people who grudge me a disability car and this has only started since the government began treating disabled people as if they were lesser forms of life. The fact that people can go into a government website and find out information about me and my car really does upset me and I don't think this is acceptable. It is not because I am not entitled to have the car, but I consider this to be my own private business and not something I want to be the subject of discussion among my neighbours".

The stigma, Tools, I regret to say is not dead and buried.

My own concern was that this action by DVLA possibly contravenes the Data protection act 1998 and also Article 8 of The Human Rights act and if it goes unchallenged is yet another minor erosion of our rights.
                        It was Hitler who said the way to take utter control of a people is to take a little of their freedom at a time by a thousand tiny imperceptible cuts.
                        I understand a complaint has been made to ICO who intend to discuss the matter with DVLA. No change there then.

Comment

I fully understand your friends concerns and as I said previously, that stigma SHOULD be dead and buried. I do not consider anyone who is entitled to exemption to be spongers or cheats, as you say sadly many people still do. There will always be bigots and that will never change. Likening it to the actions of Hitler is ridiculous and one I would expect from the Daily Mail.

I do agree that the status shown when checked online should show the Taxation Class (cost) as if you were to purchase that vehicle but I also think the current status could also show as "Currently Exempt" instead of "Disabled" which IMO is a bad choice of words.

Comment

What I was likening to what Hitler said (wrote actually Mein Kamf)was that the way to remove freedoms was little by little so the reduction was not noticed. I was not suggesting that DVLA actions were comparable (others might)

Comment

Just to add to the debate, a disabled tax class vehicle can be driven by a non disabled person who can also be the registered keeper of the vehicle on the V5. Unlike a blue badge the disabled person doesn't have to be physically in the car provided the car is only used for the purpose of the disabled person - for e.g, using the car to go shopping for the disabled person.

One argument I can see against making the DISABLED tax status public is, for eg, a neighbour or anyone checking the tax status of the car only ever see the non disabled person driving it (unaware that it's only been driven for the purpose of the disabled person), they will see the disabled status then incorrectly assume that the non disabled driver / registered keeper is the one receiving high rate mobility and as they're non disabled could innocently be branded a benefit cheat.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X