• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Court Summons - Advice appreciated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Court Summons - Advice appreciated!

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on this horror show of a situation. Here goes...

I've been summoned to court by the DVLA over an old van that me and my band used years ago. It used to be in the name of the drummer but he left years ago and the van's not in a working state. The van is parked on private land (it's been there since the end of 2008) and we thought (wrongly) that it had been declared SORN. The van was spotted by someone at the start of the year and reported it to the DVLA who clamped the vehicle (the vehicle had an old tax disc which we think caused the vehicle to be reported). We paid the £230 for the clamp to be removed, only for our old drummer to receive a letter stating that the vehicle had not been declared SORN since the end of 2008. We signed the vehicle in my name as it's not been anything to do with him for years. I wrote a response to the DVLA stating it's been on private land, had no tax, MOT, insurance, etc and that it's not been in a working state (we'd happily scrap the thing to be honest). However, I then received another letter a few months ago advising they were referring the case to a court. Yesterday a letter was delivered to me with a court date and also stating the fine can be up to £1000, and if I plead guilty I'd also have to pay £90 towards legal costs as well as a further £808 for the duty period between 2009 and the start of 2013.

Have I got a leg to stand on here or do I just plead guilty and hope they don't charge me the maximum? I'm not sure whether it'd be worth pleading not guilty given our/my ignorance towards the SORN rules. It'd break my heart knowing we've wasted this much money on a van that's probably not worth much more that a few hundred quid!

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA Court Summons - Advice appreciated!

Why didn't you scrap it?

Comment

If the van has just fairly recently been transferred to your name why are they asking you for back duty?

Comment

Wales01man - I'm asking myself the same question.

ostell - We agreed that we would date the ownership back to when the previous "owner" left the band (we all chipped in for the van, he was the only one that could drive at the time).

Comment

can you backdate a vehicle reg document?

Comment

The previous "owner" gave them my details (I agreed this with him), I had to fill out an "unlicensed vehicle" document stating I was the new owner since the end of 2008. I specified that it's on private land, etc (as above) but they've referred the matter to court.

Comment

Okay, Jay. Let's clarify a couple of things. When did the drummer leave the band and when was ownership of the vehicle transferred to you?
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

1. How soon is the court hearing?
                2. Have you had any disclosure from the DVLA & VEAS e.g. all documents and all photos that VEAS took of the van?
                3. Did the van, when clamped, look like a wreck?
                4. Where was the van parked? Was in e.g. on a drive v. close to a house?
                5. As Bluebottle asks, when was ownership transferred to you?
                6. Why did you pay to have the clamp removed if the van isn't in working state and you wouldn't mind scrapping it? This is a relevant question - I'm not criticising you for paying to remove it.

Comment

Has anyone got access to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIC) Regulations?

I can't find it on http://www.legislation.gov.uk/all?ti...%20Regulations

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    Has anyone got access to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIC) Regulations?

I can't find it on http://www.legislation.gov.uk/all?ti...%20Regulations

It's the Road Safety Act 2006: ...and the relevant section is section 22:...or if you want the Act in a single pdf:
                    Explanatory notes for the legislation are here:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X