• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA 'fine' for owning an unlicensed vehicle - Looking for advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA 'fine' for owning an unlicensed vehicle - Looking for advice.

Hi,

I'll try to briefly sum up the situation so far. Firstly the facts.

I owned a Suzuki bike until the 13th July 2012.
    Until the 30th June the bike was SORN.
    On the day of sale to a bike trader I sent off the V5C/3 as usual in this situation.
    I didn't receive a confirmation letter from DVLA.

The first letter I received about the 'fine' was on the 28th January 2013 from Inter-Credit International (debt collectors)
    Since the 28th January I've received another 3 letter from the debt collectors plus one from their solicitor threatening court action if I don't pay up within 7 days.

I have written to the DVLA stating that I have fulfilled my legal obligation etc and quoted the INS107 document which states I do not have to tax a vehicle if within 14 days it's sold, scrapped etc. It was sold on the 13th day. I included a receipt of sale and a letter from the trader confirming the sale.

The DVLA have written back saying that the fine stands and that I have to pay up. As usual in these situations they're stating that I should have chased it up even though legally I don't have to.

I understand I could have done more to prevent this however at the time I was moving house, had just been made redundant (hence the sale of the bike) and didn't think to call then up when the confirmation didn't arrive.

From the cases I've read about this is typical DVLA who rely on scare tactics to extort money from the public. However, even with the letter I wrote quoting previous cases which were thrown out and other information directly from their site, they're not budging and I have less than a week to 'pay up' before I get taken to court. Well, if the solicitors actually take action, which is a gamble at this stage.

Any help or advice on what to do next would be really appreciated. If I was in the wrong I would pay up but I believe I have done my statutory duty and that the DVLA are just attempting to bully me into paying.

Thank in advance for any help
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA 'fine' for owning an unlicensed vehicle - Looking for advice.

There is nothing in law that says you have to phone them to check they have received the relevant part of the V5C. And DVLA know it. If you placed the envelope containing the notification slip in the post box, you have fulfilled your legal obligation. i am going to bump this thread for one of our members who is familiar with DVLA's shenanigans to look in.

:bump:
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X