• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driving without insurance query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving without insurance query

Hi guys

I was stopped (England if that matters) a.few days ago for driving without insurance. I believed I was insured to drive at the time, being a named driver on the policy and it was my wife's car.

​​​​My wife recently purchased a new car, letting her insurance lapse at end of term. I understood this to be 22nd, turns out it was the 2nd. So, I was driving with no insurance. I appreciate there's no gray areas on this.

I obtained cover at the side of the road, enough to continue my journey. I was given a caution and a verbal notice of intended prosecution.

Expectation now would be a conditional offer, eg IN10, 6 points and £300 fine.

My question is on special reasons, and whether it's worth declining the offer and going to court

​​​​​​It looks to be quite a high cost to do this (£500 court costs, circa £1500 solicitor). Slim possibility of forgetting it ever happened and moving on with no points and no fine, so with the expectation that I'd probably receive a fine around the £1000 mark.

Would it be reasonable from court to expect the IN10+ points or a fine, or both? And then, potentially could my wife also be prosecuted for allowing someone to drive knowingly a vehicle that wasn't insured?

Thanks!

Tags: None

Would it be reasonable from court to expect the IN10+ points or a fine, or both?
    You would be sentenced under the normal sentencing guidelines which suggest (for a guilty plea) a fine of a week's ne income, a surcharge of 40% of that fine, prosecution costs of around £90 and 6 points. "Special Reasons" has little chance of success IMO.

And then, potentially could my wife also be prosecuted for allowing someone to drive knowingly a vehicle that wasn't insured?
    Certainly possible, but unlikely.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X