• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SJPN for driving without insurance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJPN for driving without insurance.

Recently received a "further steps" notice from Greater Manchester Accounts and Enforcement Unit

After back and forth with them, it turns out my insurance didn't auto renew and my car was spotted last October. My car was also registered at a previous address with the DVLA and its taken this time to track me down.

I've since changed the registered keeper's address with the DVLA and I'm preparing to pay the fine.

After checking with the DVLA there aren't any points on my license.

My question is, with now insuring the car and being a named driver on another policy - there is a question - "Has any driver had any motoring convictions, fixed penalty offences or driving disqualifications in the last 5 years?" Does a SJPN count as a conviction? is the offence "IN10 - using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks"

I've asked Greater Manchester Accounts and Enforcement Unit to send me through a copy of the original fine which should give me more information.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

From your description it sounds as though you have been convicted of "keeping" a vehicle without insurance. This is contrary to s144A of the Road Traffic Act. The offence carries a fine only and no endorsement or penalty points.

The more serious offence is "driving" a vehicle without insurance. This is contrary to s144 of the Road Traffic Act and it carries a fine, a minimum of six penalty points and an endorsement (code IN10). To be convicted of this the police would have to know who was driving either by stopping the vehicle at the time or issuing a "Request for Driver's Details" to the Registered Keeper. Again, from your description, it seems neither of these happened.

An SJPN is a "Single Justice Procedure Notice". It is the usual way of starting court proceedings for minor offences. If found guilty as a result of such proceedings the result is a criminal conviction.

So the answer to the insurer's question is "yes".

Comment

Originally posted by HandyAndy View Post
      From your description it sounds as though you have been convicted of "keeping" a vehicle without insurance. This is contrary to s144A of the Road Traffic Act. The offence carries a fine only and no endorsement or penalty points........
      Much appreciated, when speaking to Greater Manchester Accounts and Enforcement Unit they emailed - "the Offence - On the XXX/2023 you were the registered keeper of vehicle registration mark XX which did not meet the insurance requirements, contrary to Section 144A(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988."

Hopefully i'll get the original fine paperwork through soon so I can make sure the insurance is completely up to date.

Do you know if there is a code/shorthand similar to IN10 for what I have been convicted of?
      Last edited by MIRWIN; 5th July 2024, 19:16:PM.

Comment

Do you know if there is a code/shorthand similar to IN10 for what I have been convicted of?
        No there isn't. IN10 is an endorsement code and an offence under s144a does not carry an endorsement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X