• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA chasing month road tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA chasing month road tax

Hi, I will explain my situation:
    Picked up car from retailer garage, taxed it before on direct debit, took for MOT and and then home. Sat on drive since as I tried to fix a couple of issues. Tax went out on direct debit. Noticed that and so cancelled and put on SORN. Claimed the money back through direct debit indemnity. DVLA has written asking for payment for the missing month. Explained to them I taxed in error as did not know that for MOT test you do not need a tax. They said I put on SORN after DD was collected. Which is correct as I realised I should not be paying by then. My argument is that YES i put on SORN late but you now know the circumstances of car taxed in error for MOT never used after that day so why charge me for non use of vehicle. Can I ask them to backdate the SORN from the date of the MOT?
    Tags: None

Did you drive to MOT test in the month you are being asked to pay tax for

Comment

Yes I did. It was the same month

Comment

Exactly how much is this about?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ally787 View Post
          Yes I did. It was the same month
          You wont be getting a refund and you cannot backdate a SORN

Comment

To get a refund on car tax you first need to noitify DVLA why you are cancelling the tax and then they pay you the refunbd. You chose to do it by the invalid (as far as DVLA are concerene) procedure of unilaterally recovering a payment via your bank and by doing that you have taken back more than you are entitled to.

When you cancel tax you only get back any complete months remaining. You don't get back anything for the month in which you notify DVLA of the cancellation. So that's why DVLA are asking for you to pay for the 'missing month'. It seems to me that DVLA are entitled to ask for this.

Cancel your vehicle tax and get a refund - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The fact that, with hindsight, you wouldn't have needed to tax the vehicle is irrelevant. You chose to tax the vehicle and could have used it if, for example, it had passed its MOT.

A SORN cannot be backdated.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X