• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Justice Procedure Notice for uninsured keeper of a motor vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Justice Procedure Notice for uninsured keeper of a motor vehicle

I'm hoping someone that has been through this process can help me at all.

I inherited a car that was my Late Father's and kept garaged at his house and I had previously been insuring it in order to drive it to a garage to have it serviced, however the car insurance lapsed as correspondence was sent to my Late Father's property along with letters from the DVLA. As soon as I had realised the car insurance had lapsed I immediately insured the vehicle but have now received a Single Justice Procedure Notice for uninsured keeper of a motor vehicle with three options of "I wish to plead guilty in writing", "I wish to plead guilty in court" and "I wish to plead not guilty".

I am unsure of how to proceed and hoping for some advice please. Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
    I am sure Handyandy (another forum member) will be along to help soon but I doubt there is a defence so paying the SJ fine (£100) may be the best option? Wait and see what others say...

Comment

I think the advice you were given elsewhere stands.

All vehicles must be either declared (and kept) off road or they must be taxed and insured. If they are not the Registered Keeper is liable to prosecution. The car was not insured and not declared SORN and you are the Registered Keeper, so that is why you have received the SJPN. The only way to deal with this is to plead guilty. It's entirely your decision whether or not you want to have a court hearing which you can attend, but I fear there's not much you can say that will lessen the damage. I don't think the DVLA offer fixed penalties for this offence but it may be worth a phone call asking if they do, and if so, why you were not offered one.

Comment

The linked guide says
        Penalties

If you’re the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle that’s not been declared as off the road, you could:
        • be fined £100
        • have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
        • be taken to court where you could get a maximum fine of £1,000

Comment

Thank you for all your replies and advice.

Will DVLA look at mitigating circumstances if I contact them up directly?

Comment

I have to say I doubt it very much but no harm in asking...

Comment

I am pleased to confirm that the case was withdrawn. Thank you to everyone that helped!

Comment

Hello ashburton
                I’m glad your case got dropped in the end! Just wondering, did you manage to do this via contacting the DVLA or pleading guilty and explaining in the mitigating circumstances? If you spoke to the DVLA I was just wondering if you used their general number and phoned them or went via other means. Thanks!

Comment

Apologies for the delay as I've only just seen the message. I contacted DVLA via their online form explaining the mitigating circumstances and also pleaded not guilty via the SJPN online process and included all mitigating circumstances. I hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X