• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA untaxed vehicle fine. when car is SORN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA untaxed vehicle fine. when car is SORN

Hi I've just received a Penalty for an untaxed vehicle which i think is wrong

My car has been registered SORN. & is parked in my own parking space. I live in a group of 4 terraced houses & we all have are own allocated parking spaces.
    I've checked my property register both my house & parking space are mentioned in it. Also the map with the registry shows both locations with a red boarder.

So I presumed that it was classed as off road. Am I right? I want to Dispute but don't want to end up in court with huge costs. The fines already £500

Tags: None

Where exactly is this parking space?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	boundary.png
Views:	1
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	1668900 its out the front of the house its in a cul de sac

Comment

Making a SORN declaration means that the car will not be used on a public road, including private roads that are accessible to the public. If the vehicle was on private land as you claim, I am struggling to see how the fine can be upheld.

Has the DVLA supplied any evidence to back up their right to issue a fine?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It seems that this may be a private road that is accessible to the public. The OP should investigate this further.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

To be clear, the SORN regulations apply to keepers of vehicles who do not "....for the time being intend to use or keep the vehicle on a public road."

So is where you kept this vehicle a "public road?"

Comment

Originally posted by HandyAndy View Post
              To be clear, the SORN regulations apply to keepers of vehicles who do not "....for the time being intend to use or keep the vehicle on a public road."

So is where you kept this vehicle a "public road?"
              And just to add to that, the vehicle tax legislation includes this definition:

"public road"

(a) in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, means a road which is repairable at the public expense
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Correct, I think I was also incorporating the no insurance offence which if I recall refers to a public space.. broader than the public road definition.
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

* place not space
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    Making a SORN declaration means that the car will not be used on a public road, including private roads that are accessible to the public. If the vehicle was on private land as you claim, I am struggling to see how the fine can be upheld.

Has the DVLA supplied any evidence to back up their right to issue a fine?
                    The road itself is a normal road (cul de sac), but at the end you have the allocated parking spaces separated by a path. (orange car) Click image for larger version

Name:	road.png
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	1669018 at the moment i've just sent the form back appealing, they have said they have evidence but havent sent me any?

Comment

You are entering a minefield with this.

The Road Traffic Act (s192) defines a road thus:

"...in relation to England and Wales, [road] means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes,"

There is lots of case law where the term "road" or "highway" has been in dispute. One case handled by a parking adjudicator dealt with a scooter being parked on a pavement.

PAVEMENT LIGHTS White-v-Westminster.PDF (londontribunals.gov.uk)

The defendant argued that not only was the pavement not part of a "road" but also that it was private property and so no offence was committed. Whilst not entirely the same as your situation, the adjudicator drew on a number of earlier rulings to help his decision. He ruled against the defendant and among the remarks in his conclusions was this:

"The areas in Glasshouse Street and Brewer Street where the Appellant parked, although privately owned, are either a part of the highway or a length of road to which the public has access (or both) and therefore are part of an urban road."

So what exactly is the status of this area? For example, if I drove my car to that location and there were free spaces, could I simply park there? If not, why not?

As far as evidence goes, provided there is no dispute over where your car was parked, the issue will be the status of the area involved and whether it is classed as a "public road". If you have a read through the decision I provided, you will see this is by no means straightforward.

I've see an Google Streetview of where I believe this is and I have to say (provided I'm looking at the right place) the areas you mention look more like large shared front drives than part of any road. But of course as you can see from the above decision, the property being privately owned does not necessarily take the biscuit.

One other thing that crosses my mind: I take it that the DVLA are alleging this is where the vehicle was seen and it was not elsewhere?
                      Last edited by HandyAndy; 21st February 2024, 11:50:AM.

Comment

It is a legal minefield as you say HandyAndy and this often comes up in relation to driving without insurance offences because the requirement to tax a vehicle is different to the requirement to insure.

For insurance the RTA (s143) requires insurance for a vehicle being used "on a road or other public place" with road being defined as you quoted (s192) "any highway and any other road to which the public has access". That definition only applies to the Road Traffic Act and can't be applied to other legislation which has its own definition of 'road', such as the law governing vehicle excise duty.

For car tax (VED) the relevant law is the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 which requires a vehicle to be taxed if it is "used, or kept, on a public road in the United Kingdom" with the definition (s62) "public road ...in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, means a road which is repairable at the public expense". That definition again is specific to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act.

OP's alleged offence is tax related so the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act definition is the relevant one. That makes no reference to whether the public has access so that doesn't appear to be relevant to OP's situation. And I've emphasisied "public" as that appears to me to be an importatnt difference between the type of road defined in the RTA and the 'public road' defined in the VED legislation.

If in doubt OP can contact his local council to find out whether the place his vehicle was parked in is maintained by the council.

However, that still leaves scope for argument about whether the parking places do in fact form part of the road at all.
                        Last edited by PallasAthena; 21st February 2024, 12:27:PM.
                        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

"So what exactly is the status of this area? For example, if I drove my car to that location and there were free spaces, could I simply park there? If not, why not?"
                          As far as I'm aware the parking spots are allocated to each house. I can't park in the spot next to mine as it belongs to my neighbour. I do know years ago someone dumped a car in one of the spots, the house that owned the spot contacted the police, the police got in contact with the owner which had to move it. If I remember correctly when the whole estate was built the plans showed each house with its relevant parking spot.

I also believe that the repairs to my parking spot are down to me.

the registry does mention my parking space (blanked out parts are my address)

Name:	register.png
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1669081
                          Also yes the DVLA are alleging the incident is down my street, and nowhere else.

Comment

Are we looking at somewhere like this?:

Name:	LB1.PNG
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	1669085

Comment

picture below

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X