• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA driving licence renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA driving licence renewal

I had a shock when I discovered that my driving licence was 14 months out of date. I immediately went online and applied for a new licence and followed the Instructions on the DVLA website. But it says that I could face a £1000 fine and various other penalties for failing to renew my driving licence in time. Fair enough except driving licenses are renewed every ten years, so in common with most people I didn't spent a decade focusing on my next driving licence renewal date,it simply slipped my mind. According to their website they send you a reminder 56 days prior to.the renewal date. In my case I did not receive a reminder letter. Furthermore they only send one reminder.
    This is unfair, and illogical. To send only one reminder by post makes no sense. There is no guarantee that thr Royal mail will actually deliver. What they should do at DVLA given the fact that ten years is a long time they should send an initial 56 day reminder, followed by at least two further reminders in a different format like an email and text message. They should have systems in place to ensure are reminded. Other government departments like HMRC inundate people with reminders about tax returns etc. Why can't DVLA do the same.
    instead we have a situation where 900,000 people are driving around without licences most of whom aew unaware their licences have expired.
    Instead of the DVLA treating people like criminals and threatening £1000 fines, they should accept that their system has failed and needs totally overhauling. I would like to see a campaign to ensure these changes are made.
    Tags: None

Hi SPARKLEMAN

Welcome to LB

You could send the DVLA a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on you. See if they did send a reminder. They have been on strike (I believe so not happy employees).

It is 'bizzare', that companies, organisations etc do auto renewal for all sorts of things (which people find annoying), but something that is a 'must', the law, they don't do that.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for that info i shall look into it. But yes thats my point, to only send out one reminder especially when such an important document is only renewed once a decade is totally unacceptable, i am going to take it up with the dept of transport.

Thanks again
      J

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkleman View Post
        Hi
        Thanks for that info i shall look into it. But yes thats my point, to only send out one reminder especially when such an important document is only renewed once a decade is totally unacceptable, i am going to take it up with the dept of transport.

Thanks again
        J
        Contact your MP.

https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

Comment

We do see a lot of people in court for other matters who do have expired licences. To play devil's advocate, the expiry date is clearly printed on the licence...

Comment

Just to be clear, your "entitlement to drive" does not expire until your 70th birthday (unless you are on a short term licence for medical reasons). Only your photocard does. Whilst the maximum fine for failing to renew your photocard is £1,000, in practice not only is the offence rarely prosecuted, but if it is, either a fixed penalty will be offered or an income-related fine will be imposed.

To add to island girl's devil's advocacy, driving involves a number of responsibilities and one of them is to ensure all your administrative requirements are met. There is no obligation on the DVLA to provide any reminders; the duty is on the driver to remind himself. So I doubt you'll get many takers among government to support your campaign for a better reminder system..

Comment

So you can’t be fined for simply not renewing your driving licence. You can however be fined if you drive without renewing your driving licence .

Have you been caught driving with an expired licence.

Comment

.Some where in the regulations I'm sure I read that DVLA can impose a penalty of up to £1000 for late renewal of driving licence, (but can't find it now!)

However, failing to return an expired licence to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and can be punished with a fine of up to £1000
                Driving without a licence can be punished with a fine up to £5000

Comment

spam reported

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X