• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

V5C lost in post months ago - DVLA want me to pay again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5C lost in post months ago - DVLA want me to pay again!

I bought my current car over a year ago now. The V5C was signed in person, I got given the green-sleep, and a few days later I got email confirmation that the owner had changed, with a reference number that the DVLA have since confirmed is valid; so I know the sale is real and the car is mine...
    After several weeks (probably 8 or 9) I thought it best to get in touch with the DVLA as I'd not had anything in the post at all (haven't recently moved, address is correct, etc.), had to do it by post in the end because the live chats never got me anywhere.
    Long story short I was told I'd have to pay for a replacement. I tried again recently (at the time, probably 11 months after I should've got it) and was told had I contacted them in the first 6 weeks, they'd have reissued it for free, but since I missed that window I'd have to pay the £25 again to reissue.
    This really wound me up because the advice on their own website says to wait 6 weeks and THEN contact them. Brilliant system of deceit they've got going there...

Just wanted to know what recourse I have before I just bite the bullet and spend the £25 to get a new one.
    Tags: None

Have you tried their complaints system? https://www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/dvla/

..and you can always involve your MP if you feel it's worth the effort.

Comment

des8 Yep, that was the only way I got a response out of them in the first place. They apologised, provided details about when the V5C was issued before, but nothing of any use... Suggested I contact Royal Mail to recoup the cost incurred... Without providing me with any details about posting etc. and refusing to do so themselves even though I believe the onus is on them as the sender to report missing post.

Comment

Either party can claim compensation from R$oyal Mail for lost post, but for first or second class post, it is limited to the value of the item up to £20

I assume however that it is not the actual value that irks you, but the complete lack of customer service and the atittude that they can do no wrong!

So all you can do is complain higher and higher and louder and louder...... and it won't change a thing!

Comment

des8 Yes I feared as such lol Is there absolutely no other recourse I can try? I can keep sending letters explaining the ridiculousness of the situation but Id eventually blow through the same £25 I'm trying to save in postage :s

Comment

take it up with your MP?

Comment

Originally posted by pcnlmao View Post
              I bought my current car over a year ago now. The V5C was signed in person, I got given the green-sleep, and a few days later I got email confirmation that the owner had changed, with a reference number that the DVLA have since confirmed is valid; so I know the sale is real and the car is mine...
              After several weeks (probably 8 or 9) I thought it best to get in touch with the DVLA as I'd not had anything in the post at all (haven't recently moved, address is correct, etc.), had to do it by post in the end because the live chats never got me anywhere.
              Long story short I was told I'd have to pay for a replacement. I tried again recently (at the time, probably 11 months after I should've got it) and was told had I contacted them in the first 6 weeks, they'd have reissued it for free, but since I missed that window I'd have to pay the £25 again to reissue.
              This really wound me up because the advice on their own website says to wait 6 weeks and THEN contact them. Brilliant system of deceit they've got going there...

Just wanted to know what recourse I have before I just bite the bullet and spend the £25 to get a new one.
              Went through this, wrote to the Chief Executive's Office, and received a reply saying they'd issue a new one free of charge!
              Thank you very much des8

Comment

Well done and thanks for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X