• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fine for not sorn/re licensing vehicle after part exchanged it at a dealer

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fine for not sorn/re licensing vehicle after part exchanged it at a dealer

    I part exchanged my old vehicle for a new one on March 5th at a main dealership, I handed over the V5. It had one months tax remaining. I have now received a penalty notice from Pastdue Credit solutions saying they are recovering a penalty notice of 80. the alleged offence was 1st april.. The vehicle was still registered at my old address. however the penalty letter is to my new address. I contacted both Pastdue who just e=wanted the money and DVLA who were equally unhelpful . Is there a response i can send to both of them to stop this .
    Many thanks in advance
    Tags: None

  • #2

    When you handed your vehicle over to the dealership did you advise DVLA?
    As keeper it was your responsibility to post the yellow section to DVLA.
    On disposing of the vehicle the tax is automatically cancelled..there is no "one months tax remaining."

    If DVLA were not informed there is little you can do


    • #3
      DSB hi I am sure I posted it at the time But can't prove it I dont have it any more so even though I sold it part ex to a dealer is that my problem still?Do I have to pay the fine?



      • #4
        If you are positive you posted the form to DVLA on disposing of the vehicle you can contest it.
        Write and tell them you sent the requisite section of the V5 to them
        They will deny receiving it and say you should have checked
        This is untrue.. there is no legal requirement for you to check if they have received it
        Eventually they may issue court proceedings, at which point you will need to swear an affidavit tat you posted the form, and take your chance in court. Don't swear the affidavit if you are unsure about sending it.
        It would help if you can get the dealer to agree that when you delivered the vehicle to him, he filled the yellow slip in for you to return.
        The DVLA may withdraw the case (they do sometimes on the court steps!)


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.