• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Part ex/dealership issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part ex/dealership issue

Evening all,

This is my first time posting and I'm hoping to get some advice on the issue I'm currently having with a garage I have purchased a vehicle from.

2 months (and 8 days ago) I part exchanged in a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Automatic towards a 316ti BMW.

The independent dealer offered me my asking price of £1600 for my astra and I paid an extra £395 and bought the BMW. The BMW came with one month warranty.

The dealer informed me he had serviced the car the day before I picked it up. After driving it for a few days it seemed a bit lumpy to me and as if it was losing power. I assumed this may be down to the clutch and decided I would book it in at my local garage. Unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment with the garage for a few weeks due to a work commitment abroad. Within the time I had booked the car in the garage and actually taking it in the low oil light flashed on. I checked the oil and saw it needed topping up but assumed it was due to the garage not topping up the oil to the correct level.

I dropped it off at the garage I use and a few hours later I was informed that the piston rings had gone, the timing chain had stretched and the vanos system had failed. I was astounded to hear this considering the car has only 70k miles on it.

I have rang the dealer to explain the situation but he has said as it is out of warranty he can't help. He also stated on the phone that the astra I had part ex'd had a gearbox failure costing him £1400 which he had receipts to prove. I informed him I knew nothing of any issues and that I would be pursuing further information as under the consumer rights act I had six months in which to deal with any problems. He then told me that he would sue me under the consumer rights act for the £1400 and that the repair to my car would be no where near that much meaning I am out of pocket.

Does anyone have any advice? Can he sue me? What should my next step be?

Jim
    Tags: None

Re: Part ex/dealership issue

He's pushing his luck. The secret is in the name: it's the Consumer Rights Act. You're the consumer, he's not. he's a trader. So keep all this in writing. Tell him that you are rejecting the car as the report from another garage has shown that it was defective. He has prove that it wasn't defective but you have the report from another garage to show it was. List the faults and you are obliged to give him one chance to make good the defects. otherwise it's refund time. He only gets one chance to fix.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

So next step is to write to the garage? Is it worth speaking to citizens advice? I'm pretty sure with my union I can get legal cover free so is it worth trying to enlist a solicitor to send the letters to the garage? He became quite hostile on the phone when I said I was going to pursue it further.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

If you can get the assistance of a solicitor under legal cover then go that way. If not then I'm sure you can handle it yourself. But get something in writing very soon so that the marker is down and you don't run out of the 6 months as you did the 30 days.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X