• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car towed by the council

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car towed by the council

Hi,

I have just had my car towed by the council, from outside my building apparently because it was parked slightly on the pavement. The pavement is flat and not raised with a curb so I didn't realise it was on there. It was not blocking anyone or anything and the no parking sign on the floor is completely faded. To top it off, I have emailed the council this week to say there is inadequate parking in my area and I could not park anywhere else!

Is there anything that can be done to appeal in this instance?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Car towed by the council

Originally posted by Richardpne View Post
    Hi,

I have just had my car towed by the council, from outside my building apparently because it was parked slightly on the pavement. The pavement is flat and not raised with a curb so I didn't realise it was on there. It was not blocking anyone or anything and the no parking sign on the floor is completely faded. To top it off, I have emailed the council this week to say there is inadequate parking in my area and I could not park anywhere else!

Is there anything that can be done to appeal in this instance?

Thank you
    Was this "dropped curb" a pedestrian crossing point at a road junction?
    There was you say a " faded" no parking marker on the road, but not faded
    to such a degree that you could not read it?

nem

Comment

Hi. It was a long dropped stretch next to a small road junction which goes into my complex. it did not block the road junction and there was no yellow lines. I could only read the small no parking bit in the morning. It wasnt clear at night.

Comment

Do you live within the london councils??

- - - Updated - - -

Pavement parking is banned throughout the 32 London boroughs and the City of London under the Greater London (General Purposes) Act 1974. The Highway Code says ‘You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London’. All councils in London can and should enforce this law by issuing parking tickets to any vehicles parked on pavements, unless there is a sign there that specifically permits it.

Comment

Do they have the right to tow it as well, even if it is not blocking anything?

Comment

If you live in london yes and they will if any part of the vehicle is on the pavement

The reason i ask is that the london boroughs have draconian parking penalties for violations

Do you live in london??

Comment

I live in haringey. Had no idea that I wasn't allowed to park on a pavement. It was barely an inch on a flat curb with plenty of space to pass

Comment

That is your answer then

You cannot even appeal this

Comment

Ok thank you anyway

Comment

No worries

Does not make it right but it is the law exploited to the hilt by the london councils for personal gain

Comment

Yep! London is proving a difficult place to live

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X