• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Insurance issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance issue

Had an existing policy with Admiral for my 2001 VW Golf.

Sold it and purchased a 2007 VW Golf newer model but same engine size.

Still have 2 months of existing policy to run so contacted them to give new details and was told that there would be an additional premium to pay of £83 plus an admin charge of £19.50 ?

When I asked why the increase, I was told that it was due to the fact that it was a new car and that I was not use to driving it ?

Now I have been driving for more than 30+ years, have a clean license and 21+ years no claims. I decided to pay the extra premium as I didn't want to incur anymore costs due to cancelling the policy but advised that I will be reconsidering at renewal.

I requested a fuller explanation in writing in which was received today.

They further explain that they rate premiums on car grouping, value, year of purchase and year of make / model.

Then they quote :-

"The main cause of is the year the car was purchased. Our claims statistics have shown this is an important factor. The claims statistics show the longer a person has owned and driven a particular car, the better risk they are ? The trends show the first year in a new car is the most risky. This could be because you may still be getting used to the car.

Even though your new car is the same make / model and grouping as your previous car, the type and market value of the car is different."

Ok I do accept that the value has increased by about £1,500 but how can they justify such a large increase and also charge an admin fee ?

Has anyone recently been given the same explanation as it is the first that I have heard of this ?

Thanks for looking
    Tags: None

Re: Car Insurance issue

They do it because they CAN

Comment

Yes , I had exactly the same from fish . Wanting 30 for the admin fee and 60 for the new premium . The same excuse as I was driving a new car i wouldn't be used to it and therefore a higher risk .

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
        Yes , I had exactly the same from fish . Wanting 30 for the admin fee and 60 for the new premium . The same excuse as I was driving a new car i wouldn't be used to it and therefore a higher risk .
        So basically got you over a barrell :tinysmile_cry_t:

If you don't mind me asking what was your explanation for the admin fee - Change of car details ?

Comment

Yes change of details and issue of new documents it's priced up front so no denying /i agreed to it .

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
            Yes change of details and issue of new documents it's priced up front so no denying /i agreed to it .
            Ok and cheers again for your response

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X