• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

abandoned vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abandoned vehicle

My neighbour has inherited her mother and step fathers property which includes an off site garage. A previous tenant on the street has left an old land rover in front of this garage for the last two years with no sign of any interest in either doing anything with it, I believe the owner isn't around any more or at least not in the village. My neighbour has been trying to find out what she can do with it because they are trying to sell the property. The local council aren't the slightest bit interested, the police aren't because it is on private land and the DVLA will not disclose the owners contact details. My neighbour obviously wants rid but is unsure what she is able to do and what position she might be in if she did anything so does anybody have any suggestions please.
    Tags: None

Re: abandoned vehicle

Surprised L A are not interested as they have a duty to remove abandoned vehicles, even from private land, especially if deemed a hazard (eg to children playing on them) Have they said why not?
    Council want reminding of their powers under Section 3 Refuse Disposal (Amenities) Act 1978:

Where it appears to a local authority that a motor vehicle in their area is abandoned without lawful authority on ANY land in the OPEN AIR or on any other land forming part of a [F1 highway] [ F1 road], it shall be the duty of the authority, subject to the following provisions of this section, to remove the vehicle.
    (2) Where it appears to a local authority that the land on which a motor vehicle is abandoned as aforesaid is occupied by any person, the authority shall give him notice . . . F2 that they propose to remove the vehicle in pursuance of subsection (1) above but shall not be entitled to remove it if he objects to the proposal . . . F2 within the prescribed period.
    If the vehicle has fuel in it, and the fuel lines start leaking it is very hazardous.Police might develop an interest:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Have the DVLA said why they will not disclose the keepers address? A Form V888 from the DVLA should get the registered details so long as the request is considered legitimate.
    If your neighbours decide to move the vehicle , or make arrangements for it to be done perhaps they should put a notice on the car stating that if the car is still there after 14 days it will be moved/removed. Also state on the notice the reason why the vehicle will be removed (i.e. it is obstructing the lawful use of private land) and to where it is intended to move the vehicle. Once reasonable notice has been given that the car will be towed away and the reasons for it being towed away and its intended destination, then it is likely that they will have avoided committing an offence. In effect they will have shown that there was no intention of preventing or inhibiting the driver of the vehicle from retrieving their vehicle.The problem with this suggestion is that your neighbours still have to find somewhere (legal) to put the vehicle.

Another course of action is to apply to DVLA for a new V5c in the neighbours name. The DVLA then write to current registered keeper, and if it is not contested they will issue a new V5c. Then sell the vehicle to a scrap yard, keep the receipt, and see if owner pops up in next 6 years.

Comment

Re: abandoned vehicle

Put a cheap public notice ad I a local paper stating location of the vehicle and that it will be scrapped in 7 days if not removed.
      If it's on private property owner untraceable get a car breaker to pick it up you'll get a few
      quid for it hold the money for a few months in case the " alleged " owner shows up.

Then ask him/her for storage charges for two year!

Done it myself!!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X