• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charged with Mobile phone offence and pretty sure I'm innocent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charged with Mobile phone offence and pretty sure I'm innocent

Originally posted by des8 View Post
    But as many people have more than one phone, how does OP prove he i) only has one phone &/or ii) wasn't using someone elses' phone.

Agree with Steve that magistrates tend to go along with copper's version, unless accused can show it was impossible for the police to see what they claim to have seen.
    He doesn't have to prove anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_1207 View Post
      Wrong!

Comment

If two cops stand up in court and swear the op was seen using a phone, it is no use him replying "no I wasn't guv. Here's me phone records."
        All that shows is that that particular phone wasn't in use.
        The cops'evidence stands.
        The op has to show the cops could not have seen what they claim because eg the view from the bridge was impossible, otherwise their joint testimony will be considered as proof.
        Photo's of the vehicle from the right sort of angle to show the officer could not have seen inside the vehicle would be useful.
        It comes down to OP's word v cops' word

Comment

Think it will be Cops 1 OP nil in court .

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Wrong!
            It's also known as burden of proof. It is the job of the OP to show that the evidence against him is wrong, not to prove that he is innocent (they're not the same thing!)

Comment

Read this.

http://www.trafficdefencelawyer.com/...st-driving.htm

Specifically, this:

The prosecution's case will involve a police officer who says he say you driving with what appeared to be a mobile phone up to your ear. Often the magistrates will agree with that evidence – but not always.
              All you need to do is cast a doubt in their minds. The police officers view may have been obscured or may have been fleeting. You may have been scratching your ear. If the magistrates are unsure of your guilt then they must acquit you.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              If two cops stand up in court and swear the op was seen using a phone, it is no use him replying "no I wasn't guv. Here's me phone records."
              All that shows is that that particular phone wasn't in use.
              The cops'evidence stands.
              The op has to show the cops could not have seen what they claim because eg the view from the bridge was impossible, otherwise their joint testimony will be considered as proof.
              Photo's of the vehicle from the right sort of angle to show the officer could not have seen inside the vehicle would be useful.
              It comes down to OP's word v cops' word
              The question is ultimately can a JP be satisfied BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT that an offence was committed, just because a police officer says so. If it's the officer's word vs. the OP, then nothing has been proven and the JP must acquit.

Comment

Also, read this:

http://www.motordefencelawyers.co.uk...-mobile-phone/

Specifically, this:

What are the defences to a charge of using a mobile phone whilst driving?

Prosecutions of motorists for using a mobile phone often rely upon the evidence of one police officer or even PCSO, giving evidence that they saw you “using your mobile phone”. These types of cases are difficult to defend, as they rely on your word against the officers, however we can strengthen your case by way of gathering evidence which supports what you say.

Strengthening your case will include steps such as obtaining statements from other witnesses who may support your case, obtaining your phone records to show that there were no incoming or outgoing calls, texts or flows of data, obtaining photographs of your car to show any issues relating to the officers ability to see inside and cross examining the officer on his evidence in the hope that it shows inconsistencies.

The objective of these efforts will be to place a doubt in the courts mind as to whether the offence has been committed and if there is a reasonable doubt, the law requires that you are acquitted.

Comment

Problem is will the Magistrate believe it?

reading local court reports it appears they dish out bigger fines and costs for those who defend

Comment

That's a question no-one can really answer I s'pose. I'm just trying to explain to the OP that they shouldn't accept defeat, which seems to be the theme here.

It is true that if you defend and lose, the consequences are far worse, but that's a decision for the OP to take.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      Think it will be Cops 1 OP nil in court .
                      Me too, little or no chance of winning.

nem

Comment

I think it's a case of being pragmatic.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_1207 View Post
                          Whilst we know this to be the case and we know where the burden of proof rests, the OP faces the evidence of not one but two coppers.

If he bowls up at court with nothing but a bare denial and nothing to discredit the evidence of the officers, what do you think the result will be.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                            Whilst we know this to be the case and we know where the burden of proof rests, the OP faces the evidence of not one but two coppers.

If he bowls up at court with nothing but a bare denial and nothing to discredit the evidence of the officers, what do you think the result will be.
                            I'm not suggesting he does that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X