• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car clamped in error - flawed DVLA database

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car clamped in error - flawed DVLA database

Hello everyone,

My car was clamped in error last Friday (5th) afternoon as a result of the new car tax system and I may need your help to change the way the law is enforced.

I bought a used car on Friday and the dealer taxed it for me in the morning. I drove the car home and parked it outside my house. The car was then clamped at around half two for not having car tax.

Car tax discs are now obsolete and car tax enforcement relies on a database to determine if a car has been taxed. My car wasn't in the database at the time and NSL, the car tax enforcement sub-contractors, clamped my car accordingly. I rang NSL immediately after discovering the clamp, but they refused to remove the clamp because my payment was still not in the database. They wanted me to drive (somewhat difficult with a clamped car) to their depot with the receipt! I was also in touch with the DVLA on Friday afternoon and they also could not see the payment. I called the police (non-emergency number) on Saturday because I considered the clamp to be illegal. Although they sympathized, they said it was a civil issue and to contact a solicitor. I sent emails of complaint to NSL and the DVLA and I also rang DVLA first thing on Monday morning to threaten legal action if they didn't remove the clamp; it was removed shortly thereafter. The DVLA also confirmed that the database would always be up to 24hrs out of sync with reality.

The new car tax system is flawed as the database can never be truly up-to-date. Car tax enforcement cannot continue their "clamp first and ask questions later" modus operandi. This is where I will need your help.

I've checked the legislation that allows sub-contractors to clamp vehicles (Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 Schedule 2A) and it says they may only clamp where they have reason to believe there is an offence. I would like to challenge the use of the database as proof that there is an offence, since it can never be accurate. This law was made when we had tax discs and interpretation was black and white, i.e. no tax disc = clamp. However, this cannot be applied to the database method of enforcement.

I would recommend that the DVLA take pictures of the offending vehicle, wait 72 hours, recheck the database and then send a fine in the post. This would be similar to how automated speed-traps work and would allow for the lag in the database.

The reason why I have called this illegal clamping is because even though I was immediately able to prove that tax had been paid, the clamp remained on my car for three days. This meant that the clamping company was acting outside of their remit and are liable for extortion, blackmail, fraud and damage to property.

I may have been very unfortunate in this case and it's not likely to happen too often, but I think that the system is flawed. I did nothing wrong but I was treated like a criminal for three days.

The reason why I'm posting here is that I found a similar thread through google:
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ed-urgent-help

That post inspired me to fight back and provided a lot of useful information.

I would really like to get the DVLA to change their method of enforcement. My actions so far have been:

• Email of complaint to NSL - No response . . . not surprised
    • Email of complaint to DVLA - No response (can be up to 10 working days)
    • Email to local councillor and MLA (Northern Ireland Assembly) - no action taken but they were willing to help me to get the clamp removed.
    • Email to MP - just today

I was also thinking of submitting a small claims application against NSL, but I don't have any expenses to claim so this could be difficult. Any advice?

Can anyone suggest any other actions that I could take? I'm an engineer during the day so I can see the problem with the system and the solution, but I don't have the legal knowledge or political correctness to fight this on my own.

Thanks
    Tags: car tax, clamp, dvla

Re: Car clamped in error - flawed DVLA database

I assume that 'NSL' are the same firm that provide hospital transport in some areas. They can be notorious but if you make enough complaints and tell your MP and contact the media they can change.

Comment

Thanks Geoffrey.

Yes, same company. NSL have replied to my complaint, basically saying tough luck.

My MP's office is going to look into it, but they said that a change would be unlikely unless there were more complaints.

Yes, I've also written to BBC watchdog (would they go after a government agency?), maybe they'll set Anne Robinson on NSL / DVLA.

Comment

I just wanted to give an update:

The DVLA have replied to the letter from my MP. More apologies, regrets, etc. They're now saying that their database should have been updated in real-time, but that there was an unknown technical fault at the time and they are working to prevent this from happening again.

They have also sent me a cheque for £30 for my troubles. I think it's a little light considering that they were initially trying to extort £200 from me and threatened the destruction of my new car.

I'm going to thrust them to fix their database and bring it up to spec. But if anyone else has a similar problem, please let me know and I'll continue my campaign.

Comment

It is obviously a significant problem for vehicles that are being taxed either for the first time or after a period of SORN.

Some of the problems now arising could have been forseen, ie becomes "untaxed" on change of ownership.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

I came off my shift this evening and only to find my car has been clamped! My car is still within a month's tax! I need to call the car compound tomorrow morning to discuss what on earth is going on.
            [MENTION=57047]X6yW0O[/MENTION] - I defo think the campaign ought to continue

Comment

This happened to me today!! Taxes car online via direct debit 25/03/15 email confirmation received etc this morning the clamp was applied due to DVLA database showing as untaxed! Called DVLA - Closed. Called clamping co to be informed the phone operators there are only able to accept payments and not influence the removal of clamps. Need to call local pound - called them: closed. Im am now unable to move or use vehicle until the clamp comes off (hopefully) tomorrow morning all down to the "computer saying no" to paraphrase little Britain. Nice one. Oh, and also I called 101 to report unlawful clamping to receive a "what do you want us to do about it" attitude from the rottie on the other end of the phone. Civil issue speak to a soliciter. Ok! On a Sunday? Right on gov right on DVLA another astounding balls up!

Comment

I parked my car in a private car park which was bought from a salvage yard ready for shipping abroad with plenty of personal effects in it. DVLA clamped and removed the vehicle and destroyed with contents. I contacted DVLA and they claimed to have removed the vehicle in erro, and that I should make a claim. I made a claim, but they refused to pay saying I should produce receipt for the items in the vehicle. Apparently the receipts were in the car that was destroyed by them.
                I made so many phone calls, but could not get anywhere with the claim. I was tempted to leave the matter alone, but each time I go to my country Sierra Leone, I always end up in Police Stations to answer to the lost items that were been destroyed. What should I do? Can you help me? 07944240182. Mr Lebbie

Comment

The way in which the DVLA are allowing clamping to happen under their name is shameful.
                  My partner was clamped in Sheffield for not paying his Car/Road Tax. We are used to the old system in which you received a reminder letter V11 (from what I have read online, DVLA seem to be inconsistant in sending these ontime or at all anymore). He did not receive one and as life for most people is a busy one, he forgot to check. While he accepted it was his fault, it has been very hard to accept that he was clamped between 6.05pm-8.45pm, two days after his tax was due, while we were at the cinema in Sheffield, but the DVLA Sheffield Pound closes at 5.30pm. He had everything paid online on his phone within 20mins, but could not get in contact with the pound until the morning. Completely unfair and a costly way to spend OUR tax money to operate in this way! It is Road Tax, it has no baring on whether his car is fit to drive. A fining system similar to parking ticket would be enough to 'teach people a lesson'. I don't understand the need for the ruthless, costly, provocative behaviour. Having done my research after the matter occurred, no other fine or tax evasion (Even serious multi-million pound tax avoidance) is enforced in this manner without warning or reminder!

And as the original thread discussed, there is very little or no compensation for people who have been unfairly treated.

If DVLA want to fine people, do so, if they want to cause unfair and unnecessary inconveniences, cost, stress and disruption to people's lives, jobs and earning, then I'm sure they have to pass that through a change in legislation or at least post it on their website 'You may be clamped at any time, for any sniff of a reason and you will only be able to sort it out between the hours of 9am-5.30pm (If you are lucky!) .'

Having read lots of posts and concerns on many different forums, advisory website and newspaper articles, these occurrences are more frequent then the DVLA would like us to find out and the way in which DVLA are collecting their coffers and the attitude towards dealing with people's concerns and complaints reeks of a mini version of totalitarianism by bullying Miss Trunchbull style Civil Servants, relishing in the misfortune and misery or others. I don't think DVLA or any Taxation department should be able to clamp or enforce their rules until they start to enforce them so energetically to the BIG coffee and retail companies knowingly avoiding paying their tax.

How can I make DVLA stop clamping?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X