• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi, advice needed on DCA and cancelled insurance policy please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, advice needed on DCA and cancelled insurance policy please.

Hi everybody,picked up some mail from a previous address which included a demand for payment from a DCA on behalf of their client KWIKFIT.
    I phoned DCA asking what this was about as I had no knowledge of it.
    Their representative told me it was for a cancelled insurance policy.
    He also claimed to have transcripts of telephone conversations with a 3rd party at the address they sent the letter to.

copy of letter attached

I sent e-mail proof of debt letter and added the following:
    I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that you have discussed this account with me by telephone on 27 July 2014 and must therefore have satisfied yourselves as to my identity.
    I would like to remind you that during that recorded conversation your representative claimed to have transcripts of telephone conversations held with a 3rd party discussing the above account without my permission. I would politely request copies of these transcripts or a confirmation that they do not exist within 7 calendar days. Please could you confirm the address of your Data Controller as:
    GODBYS FARM
    CRICKLADE
    SWINDON
    WILTSHIRE
    SN6 6HT
    Failure to respond within this time scale is likely to result in further action including but not limited to providing the ICO and the the FCA with the details of this telephone conversation .

I received the following reply:

Further to your responding email below regarding your Kwik Fit Green Motor Insurance.
    Please find the details below relating to your outstanding insurance debt
    KwikFit Insurance are happy to send you your policy also supply your bank details you gave at the time of application, please call Free Phone 0800 0279 367. As they have since sold your debt they will no longer be able to take a payment from you, and the outstanding credit amount remains registered against you until we are paid.
    You can also speak with the government body DVLA 0300 790 6801 Ref No xxxx xxx who will confirm keeper and insurance details for the vehicle on the dates stated below.
    Reg xxxx xxx
    Model:BMW
    VehicleValue: £10,000
    Cover Level: Comp
    Cover Date 04 Jul 2009
    Cancellation date: 16 Jan 2010
    Time on Cover: 196 days
    No Claims Discount 2 years
    Customer occupation: xxxxxxxxxx
    Payment type: Finance
    Businesstype: Health Care-NHS
    Please contact us 0208 891 2452 to discuss your options to clear your outstanding debt.

Obviously this is not proof of anything just a list of details and then asks me to contact KF to verify the account.
    There is no breakdown of the amount
    The original letter states that KWIK FIT is the client but the e-mail states that KF have sold the debt but do not say who is their current client.
    Can anyone give me pointers on my reply.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Hi, advice needed on DCA and cancelled insurance policy please.

Originally posted by tyro View Post
    Hi everybody,picked up some mail from a previous address which included a demand for payment from a DCA on behalf of their client KWIKFIT.
    I phoned DCA asking what this was about as I had no knowledge of it.
    Their representative told me it was for a cancelled insurance policy.
    He also claimed to have transcripts of telephone conversations with a 3rd party at the address they sent the letter to.

copy of letter attached

I sent e-mail proof of debt letter and added the following:
    I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that you have discussed this account with me by telephone on 27 July 2014 and must therefore have satisfied yourselves as to my identity.
    I would like to remind you that during that recorded conversation your representative claimed to have transcripts of telephone conversations held with a 3rd party discussing the above account without my permission. I would politely request copies of these transcripts or a confirmation that they do not exist within 7 calendar days. Please could you confirm the address of your Data Controller as:
    GODBYS FARM
    CRICKLADE
    SWINDON
    WILTSHIRE
    SN6 6HT
    Failure to respond within this time scale is likely to result in further action including but not limited to providing the ICO and the the FCA with the details of this telephone conversation .

I received the following reply:

Further to your responding email below regarding your Kwik Fit Green Motor Insurance.
    Please find the details below relating to your outstanding insurance debt
    KwikFit Insurance are happy to send you your policy also supply your bank details you gave at the time of application, please call Free Phone 0800 0279 367. As they have since sold your debt they will no longer be able to take a payment from you, and the outstanding credit amount remains registered against you until we are paid.
    You can also speak with the government body DVLA 0300 790 6801 Ref No xxxx xxx who will confirm keeper and insurance details for the vehicle on the dates stated below.
    Reg xxxx xxx
    Model:BMW
    VehicleValue: £10,000
    Cover Level: Comp
    Cover Date 04 Jul 2009
    Cancellation date: 16 Jan 2010
    Time on Cover: 196 days
    No Claims Discount 2 years
    Customer occupation: xxxxxxxxxx
    Payment type: Finance
    Businesstype: Health Care-NHS
    Please contact us 0208 891 2452 to discuss your options to clear your outstanding debt.

Obviously this is not proof of anything just a list of details and then asks me to contact KF to verify the account.
    There is no breakdown of the amount
    The original letter states that KWIK FIT is the client but the e-mail states that KF have sold the debt but do not say who is their current client.
    Can anyone give me pointers on my reply.
    Who is the DCA they have sold the debt To? Kwik Fit clearly no longer own it, and the details after 4 years may or may not be sketchy. There is 2 years to go until this debt becomes Statute Barred, so the name of the DCA would be helpful as different ones pose different levels of risk to you.

In terms of replying at present, you would not respond to KF as they don't own the account any longer. IF you decided to respond, I would send a SAR to the owner of the debt asking for all documentation etc.....etc...... Use the template from the library here.

More honestly if it were me, I would not respond at present. I would wait for something concrete from the OWNER of the debt (not past owner) and depending what that said, decide my next move from there.

If they haven't collected in 4 years , the DCA is pretty critical, as is the amount they are chasing which I don't think you've mentioned, I may have missed it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the DCA is Hellix Ltd, their name is on the letter in the attachment.
      The amount is £550.00
      The problem I have with who owns the debt is the original letter cites KwikFit as the client but the follow up email 3 days later says that it has been sold by them but doesnt give any details.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the DCA is Hellix Ltd, their name is on the letter in the attachment.
        The amount is £550.00
        The problem I have with who owns the debt is the original letter cites KwikFit as the client but the follow up email 3 days later says that it has been sold by them but doesnt give any details.
        It may well be they have been asked to collect it for Kwik Fit. Is the £550 genuine from memory, or has it been ramped up with charges? Do you remember this policy? Is it likely you would have stopped paying it?

I don't ask to judge, I ask so people can try to give you the best help.

Have a read here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4229103

and here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...Hellix-Limited.

They appear on a quick scan of those to threaten big but do little. I have to say I hadn't heard of them, and I have letters from nearly all DCA's!

My gut instinct would still be to wait for a 'proper letter' before responding and that they're trying to ensure they've got the right person. They send out communications to anyone of the same name hoping one will bite. This could well be what is happening here. They clearly have your email, don't 'Display Images' as one pixel is often a tiny tracking image which tells them when it's been opened. With no images displayed, you read the text body and can decide then whether to show images or not. If it's too late, don't worry.

Comment

I set up e-mail address specifically for this matter. I am no longer living at the address that DCA sent letter to.
          I have no recollection of an insurance policy with KWIKFIT.
          I have owned 10 or 12 vehicles since 2010 and usually use one broker to supply insurance but after four years it is hard to remember.
          I would have cancelled or transferred insurance after selling the vehicle.

Comment

I set up e-mail address specifically for this matter. I am no longer living at the address that DCA sent letter to.
            I have no recollection of an insurance policy with KWIKFIT.
            I have owned 10 or 12 vehicles since 2010 and usually use one broker to supply insurance but after four years it is hard to remember.
            I would have cancelled or transferred insurance after selling the vehicle.
            That's the bit I was after - whether you do routinely cancel or transfer, or as some do on here simply stop paying.

If you believe you would have transferred or cancelled the policy correctly, it is I am even more of the belief that you should simply ignore for now.

It would be interesting to hear someone else's view on this.

Comment

I have had something from these clowns in an email saying I owe £370 +/- for kwik fit never had any letter tho

i asked them to prove it as i had finished the policy after its 12 months they told me to contact kwikfit I said if it is you that is trying to make the claim YOU need to provide me the required documents

I got an hilarious reply

"I am unsure what further information you require in regards to the outstanding liability."

this is the contact info on the emails

Mr Nigel Goddard
              Collections Manager
              Hellix Limited
              Unit 6 St Margaret's Business Park
              Twickenham
              Middlesex
              TW1 1JU

020 3096 5899
              WWW.HELLIX.CO.UK

If he is the collections manager I have sympathy for the rest of the staff as he seems to be a royal brain dead moron (IMO)

but like others are saying they seem to have the talk but no kahuna's to go with it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X