• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

chassis number problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassis number problem

will try to keep this brief, but just after a bit of advice. I bought a car from a well known dealership back in March. Great car, but just had a habit of sometime cutting out/losing power when slowing down. Just before the warranty ran out I contacted the garage where I bought it and asked them to have a look. They had the car in but said that they couldn't find anything, so arranged for it to go to a garage to go on the diagnostic machine. Took the car in and was told that the could not put in as the chassis number was not recognised, but they would seek advice from head office in France and get back to me. About 10 days later the car lost power completely alsongside a very nasty smell ( was informed by a neighbor that it was the catalytic converter)
    This was about 10 days ago and the car is still not fixed because the issue with the chassis number is still not sorted. The mainframe computer in France does not recognise it, they are saying it does not exist.
    Obviously I am abit concerned now about what this means and would like some advice.thoughts on the matter. cheers
    Tags: None

Re: chassis number problem

Presumably this is either a Renault, Peugeot or Citroen. All cars have their VIN numbers stored in the main ECU, and a decent diagnostic computer can read it. I would get that number and check the VIN tag on the dashboard, depending on which manufacturer it is, there will be a stamped number in the engine bay (top of suspension strut or rear bulkhead lip when scuttle tray meets engine bay), and most manufacturers have done away with alloy VIN plates, and they are noe on stickers on the drivers door shut.

Check that they all match for a start would be the first clue to solving the mystery.

Comment

thanks for your reply, it is the vin number on the dashboard that they have tried inputting. It has also been mentioned that they have looked near the gearbox, to no avail I think and were going to start looking near the exhaust(?)
      It is citroen by the way. It is now getting on for 4 weeks ince the problem first came to light and still keep saying that it could be an admin problem, which is wearing a bit thin with me now.

Comment

try changing the lamber sensor the catalytic converter will not stop it running but the above will I take it the smell was due to this in any respect type a different reg and vin number in to the diagnostic and plug it in and press test mode what garage you go to

Comment

Originally posted by tjperfick View Post
          thanks for your reply, it is the vin number on the dashboard that they have tried inputting. It has also been mentioned that they have looked near the gearbox, to no avail I think and were going to start looking near the exhaust(?)
          It is citroen by the way. It is now getting on for 4 weeks ince the problem first came to light and still keep saying that it could be an admin problem, which is wearing a bit thin with me now.
          Sounds like they are being bellends, theres more than one on a Citroen and i'm not aware of ANY Citroen that has a stamped VIN number near the gearbox.

Your logbook has it written down, its written on the VIN sticker and its stamped, go and look and compare them, get them to read the VIN from the ECU, this really shouldn't be difficult for them to achieve.

Comment

The chassis number in the windscreen is the same as what is on the logbook. It was when they checked it on the computer at the citroen garage, that they said they could not go ahead and put it on the diagnostic maching because it wasn't right? My brain is scrambled from this - I have not had the car for 2 weeks now, but was given a brand new courtesy car, so I am not complaining too much. Just hope it is not going to be another 4 weeks or I may be tempted to tell them they can have the car back. I wonder if I have any grounds to do this?

Comment

If they haven't fixed the problem then hand the car back and get your money back. Let them have the hassle of getting it sorted out.

Comment

I also think I should get some sort of compensation for stress and distress caused :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X