• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Preparing defence for PE county court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing defence for PE county court claim

Hello legalBEAGLES,

I am in a similar situation to many others where I overstayed parking at a ParkingEye-managed car park, and unfortunately have now received County Court papers. Because of my personal circumstances, I had to have my letters directed to my parent's house, which I infrequently visit. So when I did, I had a stack of demands for payment, a 'letter before county court claim', and the court papers.

I have read a lot of threads on PePiPoo, Moneysavingexpert, and on this forum, and have bought and skimmed through the Parking Prankster's guides, so I feel I'm reasonably clued up. I have filed my Acknowledgement of Service, declaring I intend to defend all of the claim, and following all my reading-up I have 2 weeks left to file my defence. Here I'm nervous because I feel overwhelmed with the legal jargon etc, and was wondering if I could get help from you all in writing my points of defence?

In particular, I wanted to ask about the issue date on the 'Particulars of Claim' - given as 20/02/2014, but I was actually there on 15/02/2014. Will this matter at all, or can this be a point to contest?

I have attached pictures of the letters I currently have (apologies for the poor quality - I don't have a scanner with me), and also 2 pictures of the car park showing how poorly lit the T&C sign is when you arrive, and how empty the car park is (for loss of earnings contest).

Many thanks, in advance, for all your help.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Preparing defence for PE county court claim

The ticket wasn't issued on the date of the event. That's the admin delay.

Have you contacted the retailer/land owner ?

Is it possible to enter and park without seeing signs ?

Can you obtain the entrance signage pics closer so i can read them please?

M1

Comment

Re: Preparing defence for PE county court claim

Hi M1, thank you for replying so quickly.

I have not contacted the retailer or the landowner yet - I thought it was too late for them to intercede, but I read on the Parking Prankster guide that it's not too late until the court date itself, so I will get in contact tomorrow morning. I (over)spent my time at the McDonald's restaurant at the retail park, but paid in cash with no receipt, so I unfortunately don't have any evidence. But I'll see if they can intercede. I also found out from the PePiPoo forums that the retail park is owned by British Airways Pension Trustees Ltd, so I will send them a letter too.

From the entrance to where I parked there are 3 signs. It was dark and 2 of the signs (the main one I photographed above and one by the parking bays in the other photo) are not lit. A third smaller one as you drive in is lit, but I did not see it. It is not nearly as noticeable as the others, but it is there. I have attached a photo taken from the entrance showing the unlit sign (left) and the smaller lit one (right).

I have attached a close-up shot of the entrance sign as well as close up of the T&Cs from a different sign. Sorry it's in 3 different photos - I didn't have the presence of mind to turn my phone sideways...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Taipan; 27th May 2014, 22:48:PM. Reason: uploaded wrong photo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X