• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA SORN Out of Court Settlemet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA SORN Out of Court Settlemet

Hi I have a classic car that’s been in with a mechanic for over 2 years… I had made SORN when it went in. He finished the works and I then drove it to a body shop where it stayed another 3/4 weeks, I got a letter from the DVLA requesting an out of court settlement for £1547 as they have got evidence I drove it on the road. Crazy amount. Is it worth going to court with proof it was at the mechanics. Seems really unfair they backdate tax due from 2 odd years ago plus % and fine… I wrote to them and got a generic reply and not even an offer to pay in instalments. How does this work anyone been to court? I have a few cars all taxed…seems unfair.
    Tags: None

If you take this to court the guidelines suggest you will face a fine of around a week’s net income and the court can also order the entire unpaid tax to be paid. You should note that the guidance is for a maximum of 12 months unpaid tax, so you may be fined more than that. The maximum fine is five times the annual duty or £1,000 (whichever is greater) but if the court does decide to fine you the maximum (which is very unlikely) you must be granted a one third discount off the fine. You will also pay a surcharge of 40% of the fine and costs of about £100. You will also have the opportunity to ask to pay by instalments.

You would, however, also have the opportunity to explain the circumstances to the court (i.e. that is was only on the road for a short time between workshops) and provide proof of that, hoping they take a more realistic approach .

The problem with the DVLA and their out-of-court settlements is that they are very prescriptive and are just calculated from a formula. They are a very blunt instruments whilst courts can adopt a more subtle approach.

How much is the annual duty for the car?

Comment

Aren't classic cars exempt from road tax? Or does yours not meet the DVLA criteria?
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

They must be at least 40 years old.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X