• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pedestrian walked into a moving car advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestrian walked into a moving car advice

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help as we're quite stressed about this one.
    My daughter was driving earlier and as she was turning right at a junction, a lady pedestrian decided to try to walk across the crossing from left to right (from the perspective of the driver). The pedestrian light was red and other pedestrians remained stationary on the pavement. My daughter saw what was happening, braked and steered further to the right. The lady made no attempt to stop /slow down and bumped into the car mid-way along the passenger side. My daughter estimates she was doing about 10 to 15 mph. The lady fell to the floor. My daughter immediately stopped and ensured the lady was OK and sat her down at the side of the road with the assistance of a van driver who was following. He, and another pedestrian, said to my daughter it wasn't her fault. My Daughter offered the lady her details a number of times, but the lady said she didn't want them. The lady was about 60 and my daughter offered to carry her bag back to her car, which she did. The lady said "don't worry I'm fine" but my daughter noticed she had a slight limp. My daughter insisted she should take her details which she eventually took. She also offered her a coffee or to drive her home which she politely declined. There is no damage to the car, but my daughter is very upset. My question is do we need to report this to the Police and/or insurance company? My daughter didn't take the van driver or other pedestrian's details but is confident cctv would back her up.
    Tags: None

Hi J9NED

Welcome to LB

First, tell your daughter, 'not to worry and distract herself when she starts thinking about it'.

I'm glad all parties seem to be o.k.

I would provide the details to the insurance company, just in case a claim comes in. It's better to be pro active, rather then the insurance company saying 'but you didn't tell us'.

Also get hold of the CCTV footage. It's better to get it now, rather later if a claim comes in.

If you have the woman's details maybe a call to check she's o.k.

Comment

She should report the incident to the police. Section 170(5) of the RTA says this:

If, in a case where this section applies by virtue of subsection (1)(a) above [this is where there is an accident involving personal injury], the driver of a motor vehicle does not at the time of the accident produce such a certificate of insurance or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act—

(a) to a constable, or

(b) to some person who, having reasonable grounds for so doing, has required him to produce it, the driver must report the accident and produce such a certificate or other evidence.

Since there seems a possibility that personal injury has been caused, I think it would be wise to make a report just to be on the safe side. She should be able to ,make the report online and she can provide her insurance details with the report. If they want her to physically produce a certificate (which I doubt) they can let her know.

These things sometimes have a habit of turning sour and for the sake of five minutes she can avoid any aggro.
      Last edited by HandyAndy; 22nd July 2024, 21:16:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X