• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overloaded van.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overloaded van.

Good morning. I got a job in a new transport company. I drive a van up to 3.5 tons. Sometimes the car is overloaded. The car has a load capacity of 500 kg. And in the warehouse they sometimes load 1.5 tons or even up to 2 tons.. The employer tells me to stay calm and he pays the fines. Once, I was stopped by the police. The boss paid me 300 pounds and 80 pounds to unlock the car (I had to trace the goods).
    Will it always end with fines? (large?)
    Does such work make sense? what do you think ? Thank you for your help.
    Tags: None

Does such work make sense? what do you think ? Thank you for your help.
    No it does not make sense, especially with some of the excesses you describe.

The simple offence of overloading does not carry points, though it carries an unlimited fine. However, with the excessive loads you mention the police may decide to go for the more serious offence of "Weight, position or distribution of load or manner in which load secured involving danger of injury". This carries three points and a second offence within three years leads to a six month ban (with no option to argue "exceptional hardship").

The other thing you should consider is that, although the less serious offence does not carry an endorsement or points, it must still be disclosed to insurers if they ask about convictions,

All this, of course, ignores the fact that driving a vehicle which is so grossly overloaded is dangerous for you and other road users. There is a very good reason why maximum loads are imposed and quite frankly you should have nothing to do with your employer encouraging you to break the law so blatantly.

Comment

Iam not from Uk.. border force told me i will not get points and i cant losem my licence..l

Comment

The main point is, that in the event of a serious accident, the insurance will be void. As well as being stupid in knowing you are breaking the law governing weight restriction, it is there for a reason.

Comment

Iam not from Uk.. border force told me i will not get points and i cant losem my licence..l
          I'm not sure how long the Border Force has been an authority to rely on for legal advice on UK traffic law.

If you are disqualified from driving by a court in the UK, you cannot drive any motor vehicle in the UK. The maximum penalty for doing so is six months in prison. It doesn't matter where you are from or who issued your licence. If you have points imposed they go against your driving record, not your licence. If you do not hold a UK licence, the DVLA will create a driving record against your name and date of birth and you will be subject to the same rules as a driver with a UK licence (for example, twelve points in three years for any offences will see you banned for six months, two offences of dangerous overloading within three years will see you banned for six months).

But that aside, what your employer is encouraging you to do is simply dangerous. It creates danger for you (though you don't seem particularly worried by that). More importantly it creates danger for other road users - drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

Comment

"two offences of dangerous overloading within three years will see you banned for six months"
            what You mean dangerous overloading excatlly?

Comment

what You mean dangerous overloading excatlly?

Section 40a of the Road Traffic Act:

Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc.

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when—

(a)the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or

(b)the purpose for which it is used, or

(c)the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or

(d)the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

There is no doubt that overloading a van to the extent you mention (three or four times its maximum designed payload) presents a serious danger. Two offences of that nature and you will find yourself off the road. It may also be worth mentioning to your employer that he also can find himself charged if he causes or permits you to commit the offence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X