• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police lying about accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police lying about accident

My wife was hit by an unmarked police car along with 3 or 4 others. The car had blue lights and sirens on and was chasing a stolen car.
    There was damage to the bumper, arch, wheel and other bits.
    We contacted our insurance who arranged the repairs whilst awaiting the police.
    After waiting a few weeks we chased the police to accept liability as it was still showing as our claim and we had to pay the excess until this came through.
    The police came back with a blatant lie that they hadn’t hit my wife, that the stolen car had and to take it up with them.
    We protested this and said we want to raise a complaint against the police as this is a complete lie.
    They then came back and said on further investigation, the police car had hit my wife’s car but it was pushed into it by the stolen car, so to take it up with the stolen car as it wasn’t the police cars fault.
    This is also a lie as the stolen car had already gone past.
    We have lodged a complaint with the police now, but what are our rights here?

thanks for any help
    Tags: None

Originally posted by PaulV View Post
    My wife was hit by an unmarked police car along with 3 or 4 others...
    Do you mean that the police car hit your wife's car and also hit 3 or 4 other cars, or do you mean that the police car and 3 or 4 other cars all hit your wife's car?

Did your wife take photographs showing the relative positions of all the vehicles before they were moved?

If it was a police chase I'd expect there to be in-car video from the police car showing what happened. You could try asking them if you could see it, but I'd expect them to refuse.

Wouldn't it be easier just to leave it to your insurance company?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. The police car struck my wife’s car as well as 3 or 4 other cars whilst chasing a stolen car. The police car did not stop after hitting these cars, it was glancing blows and continued chasing the stolen car.
      we have made an official complaint in a hope that will get the police car footage shown.
      Our insurance company don’t seem to be to interes

Comment

How have you requested the footage?

This is from the Met,

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/adv...ivacy-and-bwv/

Comment

Originally posted by PaulV View Post
          Hi, thanks for your reply. The police car struck my wife’s car as well as 3 or 4 other cars whilst chasing a stolen car. The police car did not stop after hitting these cars, it was glancing blows and continued chasing the stolen car.
          we have made an official complaint in a hope that will get the police car footage shown.
          Our insurance company don’t seem to be to interes
          Are you in contact with the other drivers? Do you know what they are doing?

Has your wife's car got dashcam and footage of the collision? (Oh. Could the other cars that were hit have dashcam footage?)

Did it happen anywhere where there might be CCTV?

TBH I think your best leaving it to your insurer. I don't think there's a shortcut.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            How have you requested the footage?

This is from the Met,

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/adv...ivacy-and-bwv/
            Is that only for body worn cameras?

I was thinking more of in-car dashcam as I presume it must be standard procedure to record car chases*. I suspect that the OP won't be able to get access to it but their insurance company should be able to.

*For reasons like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post

Is that only for body worn cameras?

I was thinking more of in-car dashcam as I presume it must be standard procedure to record car chases*. I suspect that the OP won't be able to get access to it but their insurance company should be able to.

*For reasons like this!
              I assume so - 'Digital/recorded material such as Body Worn Video, photographs, CCTV or interview tapes count as police information'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X