• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gladstones letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladstones letter

Could anyone advise me please.
    I parked at some flats with a pass (21.10.2021) I didn't notice that 2 wheels were slightly over the white line and UK Car Park Management sent me a ticket. I appealed by post and it was turned down.
    I am an OAP and it was hard but I sent a cheque for £60. They wrote and said my appeal was kust past the date so I must pay £100 (which I couldn't afford).
    ​​​​Debt Recovery Plus wrote me next saying I owe £170. I replied explaining that I had sent their client a cheque for £60 which I considered more than reasonable. They then replied thanking me for my letter but saying £170 is due.
    Now Gladstones Solicitors have written saying if I don't pay the £170 they will take me to court.
    Should I write to Gladstones? Wait for court date? It seems so unfair £170 from my pension for parking on the line, I explained that a large vehicle was there and I had little grandchildren in the car. They seem hearless. Please, please help.
    Tags: None

Private Parking Companies have no interest in fairness or being reasonable.. Their sole concern is make as much money out of you as quickly and as often as possible. They're so heartless they'd put a ticket on their granny's mobility scooter if they got the chance. So as you have discovered appealing to them is almost always a complete waste of time.

Just a bit of a rant, it doesn't answer your question I know. Hopefully someone will come by and suggest the best thing to do next.

I doubt Gladstones letter actually says they are taking you to court. It'll just be making threats. Gladstones are essentially debt collectors for the private parking industry.

Upload a copy of Gladstone's letter but cover up all identifying information first (your name address car reg and Gladstones' reference numbers). [Click on the paperclip symbol]
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thank you for replying to me. I am trying to post the letter but I'm not very tech savvy and I'm getting a response that I can't post from j.peg. I'll have to see if I can find someone to help me. So sorry!

Comment

I hope these can be read.
        Attached Files

Comment

Do you live in one of the flats, or were you e.g. visiting a friend?
          If yes to the above is the flat rented or owned by you/your friend?
          If yes to the above is/are parking spaces included, and if so what is the wording in the lease/deeds?

Can you post up a picture of the signage in the car park?
          If you still have it, post up a picture of the parking charge first sent you.

Comment

Hi, my sister rents a flat there. She got me a pass to park there. Her parking us under the building so you get a temporary pass if the warden/concierge is in his office.
            I can't find the original ticket (but I will).and I'll go there and take a picture of the sign. Many thank for any advice.

Comment

Can you obtain a copy of your sister's lease/contract and post up exactly word for word what it states about parking rights?
              It might just give you a defence

Comment

I'll ask her now, thank you!

Comment

This is the only one I could get to upload, sorry.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My sister is going to findnthe lease and give it to me tomorrow. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello DES8. I've searched my sister's rent agreement and there's not a word about parking rights in it. She rents privately from an owner. All parking is managed by CPM who issued them 2 parking permits, 1 resident and 1 visitor. The problem is that the visitor one can only be used in the designated space and as I was visiting my sister, she was already in the space. She got me a pass from the caretaker to park in the general car park.
                      Is there any hope for me?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hope you can read this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think your only hope of contesting this claim will depend on the owner's entitlement to park.

If your sister's landlord has the right to park, and for his visitors to park, in that parking area, and if his deeds (leasehold or freehold) make no reference to a parking management company you might be able to dispute this claim.

You might be able to obtain a copy of his deeds (if the owner won't supply them) from Land Registry title register (here https://www.gov.uk/get-information-a...h-the-register cost £3)

Comment

Her landlord has the right to park in a space in the underground car park but the letter from CPM says that the visitor can only park in the designated space. She gave me the visitor pass but as her car is already in "the designated space" I could only park in the general car park upstairs. Her landlady lives abroad so I'll go on the registry as you suggest.
                            One of their letters says I do not respond but I wrote the parking company and the debt collection agency. Do you think I should respond to the Gladstones letter too in case I'm taken to court?
                            My grateful thanks to you!

Comment

Even if you have a defence, it is likely that Gladstones will still initiate a court claim.

You could acknowledge their letter, but don't admit to being the driver, and tell them you are seeking advice and will contact them in due course.
                              This should give you more time to decide what to do.

If you don't feel capable of disputing the claim in court you might be better trying to negotiate a payment plan with Gladstones than fighting it.
                              Court isn't really as scary as people often think, but I do appreciate how stressful it can be.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X