• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Insurance complaint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance complaint

I have a decided to post about an incident last year to get some advice.

My car was hit in the rear by a 16 year old driving a moped as I was driving on a straight road. There traffic slowed as did I and I was hit in rear as the moped had not reacted in sufficient time. There was damage to rear bumper and I reported the incident to my insurer. I passed on the motorcyclists details (LV) and the contact details of 2 witnesses to my insurer (Tesco). There was also a police contact/reference number (I was asked if I wanted to press charges).

My car was booked into FMG Garage. It took a shorth while to book in and I received a replacement vehicle whilst it was repaired. I got my car back and have had it for a while.

The claim is still open as we speak; the insurer of the third party has accepted liability which took a while initially as the third party did not report to the insurer. I've complained to my insurer today that I felt they have been lax in terms of following up on the case: whether it be to contact and liaise with the insurer of the third party or to get costing from the repairing garage. I have also received letters from Auxillas saying that Tesco has not settled with the car replacement company despite the claim handler saying 'oh we will sort that today.'

As my renewal date passed I took out insurance with another company; I thought Id have easily have received a certificate of my NCB - I have nt.

Erstwhile I chased to see what the delay has been.. My insurer has botched communication with their authorized repairer in terms of getting the invoice. I am trying to get this claim close over 4 months since it happened on what is a straight forward incident which feels incredibly frustrating. I have spoken with the garage and they have claimed they invoiced properly back in February; either way I feel I should not be having to play the role of a claims manager to progress my case to closure.

There are effectively two ambits to my query - one is the way in which Tesco have handled the whole process - I am looking at going to the Ombudsmen about that. The other is a wider concern at the way in which insurers are allowed to operate: the whole situation and put me in a competitive disadvantage when seeking renewal/insurance. It feels like the whole process is unfairly skewed to the insurer and just interested in opinion on that: a contract that causes significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the consumer.
    Tags: None

What date did the accident occur?
    How many years NCD are you expecting?

Regarding No Claims Discount: did Tesco not issue a renewal notice showing your entitlement?
    As the claim may not yet have been settled by LV your NCD could well be affected.

In any event you have made a claim against your insurers (albeit they should be reimbursed by LV) and that could affect your NCD

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      What date did the accident occur?
      How many years NCD are you expecting?

Regarding No Claims Discount: did Tesco not issue a renewal notice showing your entitlement?
      As the claim may not yet have been settled by LV your NCD could well be affected.

In any event you have made a claim against your insurers (albeit they should be reimbursed by LV) and that could affect your NCD
      1. 2/12/2022
      2. They issued a renewal based on the accident being my fault

Comment

So with an accident that recent I don't see any delays (insurers don't hurry themselves!), and it would be normal to issue a renewal notice with a reduced NCD.
        This doesn't necessarily mean the insurers are saying it was your fault, only that you have made a claim on your policy.
        When Tesco receives indemnity from LV (if they are pursuing it) they will probably update your NCD entitlement

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X