• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hit and run accident and credit hire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and run accident and credit hire

Hello,
    I hope someone can advise me on credit hire issues for a courtesy car I am in the process of getting from Enterprise.

Someone crashed into the back of me at traffic lights and just drove off. My dashcam recorded the footage and I was able to read the reg number and the vehicle make.

My insurer tells me this car has insurance on it, my insurer has put my claim through on a non fault basis and put me on credit hire with enterprise for the courtesy car. I have not yet signed papers as I am not picking up the hire car till mine goes in for repair. I had a call from enterprise hq and was given some tcs verbally, such as the need to be truthful and cooperate when necessary. I am happy to do this.

However, my worry is that they may have been too eager to put me on credit hire without making sure that the identity of the driver of the offending vehicle was known and with no knowledge as to whether the driver at the time was insured even though the car appears to be insured.

What happens if the identity of the driver cannot be established? Would I then be liable for enterprise's costs even if I cooperate fully? Basically at this point I dont know who was driving the other vehicle and I suspect whoever it was will have no insurance.

Thank you for your help
    Tags: None

Surely the first port of call is to check your policy wording and to obtain clarification from your insurer.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Tread carefully as you have no certainty that the at fault insurer will accept liability for the accident or the hire car costs.

If you have full comprehensive insurance obtain confirmation your insurers will cover the cost if the third party insurers decline.
      If you do that over the phone, then confirm the conversation in writing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X