• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damage to rental van...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to rental van...

Good evening!

Last week I returned a rental van to the depot at 4pm as agreed in the rental agreement. I gave them the keys and I was told that as there was nobody available to inspect the van and that they will get in touch if there are any issues and I am free to leave. As I always do I leave and jump in an uber to go to work. Today I got a missed call from them, I listened to the voicemail and they tell me there is damage to the van to which they have taken a further £300 from my account. I called them to dispute this as there was no damage when I left it back. They did not send the email Re damage until 8.30pm on the day of the rental, four and a half hours after returning it (only saw it today after their call). They say I am responsible for the van until an inspection is completed.

So my questions are...

Once I give back the keys surely the van is no longer my responsibility? They claim its my responsibility until the inspection is done, can't se anything about that in the contract.

The agreement was that it was to be left back by 4pm, this I did by hading the keys to the lady at the desk to which she said there was nobody avail t inspect and they will get in touch if any issues. . Surely they should have had someone on hand to inspect knowing that I was returning the van. I even called them in advice to let them know I may be a bit late due to traffic however I was on time.

They said they inspected the van within minutes of me leaving but did not give me the opportunity to inspect with them as they claim I had left however they also said I had left the office and it was within 30 secs of me leaving that they inspected the van. Surely they should have called me to inspect with them as I did when I rented the van from them and as I do with all other rental companies when returning a vehicle!?

On the post rental check form there is a dent on the opposite side of the van and in the exact same spot as the damage on the other side that they claim I caused. On the post rental inspection the initial dent is now gone (must have vanished while I had the vehicle) and a new one is there but on the opposite side to which they say I am liable.

I rented from them In Aug too, from looking at the docs they sent at the time I can see there are several bits of "damage" from Aug that are still on the van (same van, checked the reg) yet they have not been fixed so no doubt they have taken money from others for those faults, surely they need to actually fix the damage they are charging for?

Lastly I booked the van using my personal account t which they charged the initial fee yet they took the £300 from my business account (they had these details on file from previous rental, can they do this?)

Any help greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by daitheflu; 23rd November 2022, 17:58:PM.
    Tags: None

Is this Sixt?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Is this Sixt?
      No. Smal regional company, not big.

Comment

Imagine that you are taken to court and that I am cross-examining you. How do you answer this:

But you jumped in an Uber straight away. Are you sure you were not in a hurry to get away before the hire company could identify the damage with you present?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Imagine that you are taken to court and that I am cross-examining you. How do you answer this:

But you jumped in an Uber straight away. Are you sure you were not in a hurry to get away before the hire company could identify the damage with you present?
          Thanks for replying.

I would answer it like this...

"I jumped in the uber straight away as I have done every other time I have returned a van to you as I need to get back to work and I have several receipts from the uber app that can confirm these times and you can cross check them with the dates/times/ that I returned the van to you"

Hope that would suffice!

Comment

Imagine that if it goes to court you will not be cross examined by someone with atticus skills as it will not be commercially viable for the rental firm to hire a solicitor

Viewing your comments regarding which side was damaged, I would seek clarification

I would be asking them to justify the charge of £300.
            If the dent is not repaired they are only entitled as damages to the amount the vehicle's sale value has been diminished by the dent
            If the dent is actually repaired they would be entitled to claim the cost of the repair, but that wouldn't necessarily be the cost of a complete respray of that wing
            Try telling them you want to obtain another quote from your own panel repairer to repair the damage (if any) you allegedly caused, and this must be before they proceed with a full panel repair with which you disagree.

In the meantime if they took payment from your account via your debit card, instigate a chargeback on the basis it was done without your authority as the damage is disputed.

Also it seems you do a fair amount of business with them... might be better to visit and talk to the manager as presumably other firms might like to have your account!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X