• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police Dumped a Crashed Car on Private Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Dumped a Crashed Car on Private Property

Last week there was a traffic incident on the road outside my business. Two cars collided as I was leaving work. After I had left the smashed up car was driven by a police officer and dumped in my car park. My salesman invited the victim and the officer into my office to keep warm. Upon leaving the officer told my salesman that the car would be collected the same evening. After a few days the smashed up car was still in my car park so I called the local station. After waiting 30 mins on hold I managed to get through to somebody who told me that it is "very expensive to arrange roadside recovery so we try to move vehicles somewhere else." I was then told that it is off the road so it is no longer their responsibility but the owner of the car and their insurance company. I asked for the owners number and details of the insurance company but due to data protection I am not allowed this information. I was promised a call back last Thursday from an officer which I haven't received.

Since the car has been left in my business car park I have had 2 x people tell me it looks scruffy and joked if I am opening a body repair shop. I have also had 2 potential customers on Saturday unable to park and three men approach me asking if I want to sell the scrap car for cash. I am getting fed up of this illegally dumped car in my business car park.

So today I called yet again and told the same story... An officer will call you back. Still no call.

Where do I stand with this illegally dumped vehicle?

Can I charge storage?
    Can I have the vehicle removed and if so who do I invoice?
    What are my other options?
    Can I recover take it to the station and put it in their car park?
    The car is locked.. Photo attached.
    Who is responsible? The owner, the police who abandoned the car or the insurance company (if there even is an insurance company)

I have been told it is illegal to move the vehicle but it is negatively effecting my business. It is private land and should never have been dumped here.

Please advise the steps I can take because I am getting nowhere with the police and wasting lots of time.

Tags: None

You should be able to obtain the details of registered keeper and insurance from DVLA https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X