• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A car I own has been scrapped by my ex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A car I own has been scrapped by my ex

My exwife has scapped the car I still own I was wondering where i stand.
    When me and my wife spilt we had an agreement that she'd use the car so she could take the kids to school. I continued to pay the tax, insurance and finance on the car

A year later she then took on the tax and insurance I changed the v5 to her name so she could tax it herself.

Last month I made the last payment on the finance and I found out today that she scrapped the car yesterday. The police say its a civil case and won't get involved. Any advice?

Thanks
    Tags: None

It is a civil case, if you really want to sue your ex for whatever the value of the vehicle was.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The scrapped value is around £340, is it worth pursuing?

Comment

To be clear, I was referring to the value of the vehicle immediately before being scrapped.

Whatever that figure, whether it is worth pursuing is a matter for you.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The car had failed its mot pretty hard so I don't think it was worth more than its scrap value

Comment

so why pick a fight with your ex over it? Is this really about the car?
            Last edited by atticus; 8th April 2022, 06:46:AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It's an agreement we made when we split and the £340 scrap value is a lot of money to me, I'm still struggling to pay off all our debt that was put in my name before we split

Comment

You could sue her, but as you transferred the V5 to her name you are going to have problems if she claims you gifted the car to her.
                I know the V5 isn't proof of ownership, but can you show you didn't give her the vehicle?

Comment

I have messages somewhere saying that I was letting her use the vehicle to get the kids to school and when she got her own car she'd give me my car back, which both of us agreed to

Comment

Of course she may argue that eventually you just said "keep the car, I don't want it".

If you win a court case will she have the money to pay you?
                    If she has children to look after (regardless of any contributions you make) is she likely to still have the cash?
                    How much did she get for it anyway, (not how much you valued it for)?

So if you still feel it is worth the stress of pursuing the matter the first thing is to write (first class with free certificate of posting from post office) asking for the money she received for it, and warn her that if she does notvrespond you will initiate court action.

However as everyone else has suggested, is it worth it?
                    Take into account the stress of a court case, and any possible affect it might have on your relationship with your ex and the children (especially if they are yours)

Comment

move on

Comment

I agree with today's responses.

Comment

You both are right , I'll put it down to experience and try to avoid this kind of situation in the future.
                          thanks for the advice and for helping me to avoid making the situation worse

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X