• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

57mph in a 50mph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57mph in a 50mph

Hi guys
    I drive around 50.000 miles per year in a company vehicle who I've worked for for around 10 years.
    I had an old 3pts on my licence that has nearly run out.
    I had another ticket a couple of months ago for one on a village country road (36 in 30) for which I am doing a driver awareness course (fine only).
    I always try and keep within the limits owing to the mileage I do, using cruise control all of the time but now my work informs me I've been sent a ticket for doing 57 in a 50 on the Dartford Tunnel approach in late November ffs.
    It never rains but it pours?
    Any chance anybody has got off of something like this before? Its getting ridiculous. Any good advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

The Dartford Crossing speed limits in both directions are well signed so there's no angle there. Your only chance of an acquittal would be to show that the measurement cannot be relied upon. That is most unlikely to fly. You will not be offered a course for this latest offence as you can do no more than one in three years (with the dates of the offences being used to calculate that period). If you are offered one in error, snap it up. Otherwise it looks like a fixed penalty of £100 and three points. For information, enforcement normally begins at (Limit + 10% + 2mph), so 57 in a 50.

Comment

Cash cow comes to mind, my Brother just compleated one of these, the room full as he and other drivers left (a room full) in walked the next new BMW. PS my Brother has had a clean licence for over 60 years."O" and he was 3mph over

Comment

...and he was 3mph over
        Would you like to tell us which police force took action against him for 3mph over? The NPCC's guidance suggests that enforcement should begin at (Limit + 10% + 2mph) meaning the smallest excess that should see action is 4mph in a 20mph limit. All police forces in England & Wales are said to subscribe to the guidance. It would help with advice to others both here and elsewhere because, as far as I know, no documented cases have been seen where action has been taken below the guidance threshold.

...the room full as he and other drivers left (a room full)
        Where did he recently complete his course in "a room full"? Courses have been held online since the start of the pandemic and I don't know of any areas where in person courses have resumed. Once again, it would help when advising others.

Comment

I will only reply that he was driving at 36mph in a 30 zone completely empty road camera behind a bus stand so 30 allow 3mph I guess 4 mph over. His statement to me Room full" just accept there were plenty of customers
          Last edited by DE DOGS; 26th January 2022, 09:49:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
            I will only reply that he was driving at 37mph in a 30 zone completely empty road camera behind a bus stand so 30 allow 3mph I guess 4 mph over. His statement to me Room full" just accept there were plenty of customers
            I bet most of those in the room would be there than have points?

Comment

I will only reply that he was driving at 37mph..

Ah, so 7mph over the limit then, and 2mph above the NPCC's guidelines which suggest enforcement should begin at 35mph. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by HandyAndy View Post

Ah, so 7mph over the limit then, and 2mph above the NPCC's guidelines which suggest enforcement should begin at 35mph. Thanks for the clarification.
                Just checked with Brother 36mph

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X