• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car insurance issues HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance issues HELP!!

I'm in a bit of a pickle!

If anyone has experience of working in the car insurance business then your help would be greatful.

So long story short:

Me and my mum share a car, I bought the car on finance, she insured it, put me as a named driver. All went through okay no flags, happy days. I rarely use the car as I'm away and she uses it more hense why she insured it.

Last Friday someone has decided to back up into the car at work , it was parked up. The person has admitted it and gave her there insurance details etc. Shes rung the insurance company we have, they have said fine, put a claim in , the cars now gone to the garage today. However yesterday when I rung about getting a courtesey car the underwriting team then started to ring and ask a million questions.

To cut a long story short the owner and keeper is my mum on the insurance and the named driver is me. When it really should be me as owner and keeper (even thought the owner is the finance company really). She's entered it incorrectly and we have had this policy for months without them bringing this up etc. We had an old car with the exact same thing which I sold a few months ago, got a new car, entered the new reg and they accepted the new car (even though it was £150 more a year) , continued it and carried on with the insurance.

However now we have realised the details of this are wrong when we are being perfectly legitimate. Its my mother's fault for entering it incorrectly but she was just sorting the insurance.

NOW, the thing I'm worried about is that the person who hit my car has admitted its him, I've got a courtesey car from enterprise who have claimed from his insurance. If my insurance company (well my mums) cancel and void outer policy will this then turn the claim from him sour? He's admitted 100% it was him and his insurance company is happy with that. The car has even gone to the garage to get repaired!! I really need some advice, they are useless to tall to. They needed proof of the car purchase etc etc and I've sent it them all and still not heard back.

But as I say my main worry is the issue with the claim off this person's insurance. I understand if i was claiming from mine but we are not. Can they void the insurance but I can still get my car sorted?

It's all confusing and very stressful right now.

And the car is now off the road so we understand that if they void the insurance we will just find another company and il do it correctly.

Any help would be greatful!

Thankyou
    Tags: None

Hi ISPY

MIKE770 des8 Can you look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

The third party has damaged your car and is liable.
      He has to pay.
      Whether your insurers do or do not void your policy is irrelevant to your claim against him.

If he has passed the claim to his insurers, that is nothing to do with whether or not your insurance is voided.

The courtesy car should be paid for by him, but be careful..
      The car should be as similar to the damaged vehicle as possible, and as claimant you have the duty to mitigate your losses..
      The paying Insurance company may challenge what they consider to be excessive rental costs, and you could end up having to pay a hefty contribution to the charges yourself

Comment

Thanks Dez I couldn't of asked for a more clearer response than the one given to me then by yourself.

I have a feeling they will void the insurance however I can always get a new one which will be correct.

Can I ask why they advise to go through my insurance then? Would it of not been easier for me to just ring up the third parties insurance company they gave me and did it that way? Or is better that I went through my 'supposed insurance' .

In a good strange way I'm glad this has happened incase it was my fault and they wouldn't pay out.

Thankyou!

Comment

Policies can be amended or changed, see if that is something they are willing to do. They update the with the 'underwriters' with the amended details.

Comment

I never go through my insurers when a third party is obviously at fault and admits it.
            I write to the third party, telling them I am holding them 100% liable, and advise they inform their insurers.
            I also write to my insurers telling them about the incident, but adding that initially I am not making a claim on my policy and this is for information only. However if the third party should contrive to claim against me they, my insurers, will be informed

Regarding your current policy:
            You state you and your mother share the car: is that shared ownership or shared use?
            The finance is in your name, but was the deposit from shared funds?
            Who pays the running costs?

At whose address is it kept?

The main problem will probably be over who is the main driver and who was said to be the main driver, you or your mother.
            If they should void the policy you will find your choice of future insurers will be limited, and the premiums higher

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X