• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye Decline appeal - Popla advice PLZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye Decline appeal - Popla advice PLZ

First time poster, please go easy on me. ☺️
    Brief synopsis...Mrs Rory gets parking eye PCN (received beyond the 14 days by a few weeks) but I think they're going down the contractual line rather that the POFA route? I've read elsewhere that they can ignore the 14 days issue? Apologies if I've misunderstood this situation.

The parking breach I understand may have arisen due to the car park in question changing their tariffs. So the £2 for 4 hours became £2.50 for 4 hours, and £2 was paid in the belief that it still provided 4 hours. The ANPR clocked the car leaving after 4 hours. The driver didn't see the new charges as it's a car park frequently used by this car in its day to day business.

So an appeal went to Parking eye, in very general terms covering most of the common points I've read about. At the time, probably out of mistrust of such companies we didn't plead to their better nature and ask for leniency and understanding. It was stated we didn't know who the driver was; we asked for the landowner's details so we may communicate directly; we asked for the details of the contract and who Parking Eye were acting on behalf of, we stated the charges were not proportionate and were exorbitant. We also stated that the PCN had been issued beyond the 14 days, but I don't think that is an issue we can make having read other threads.
    Parking Eye declined the appeal and said it's needing paying. Their first response said our representation to re-issue the Parking Charge was rejected and they were unable to re-issue the charge. They asked me for the full name and address of the driver. We didn't respond and after the 28 day period expired they've written to provide us with the POPLA code.

I've a couple of issues in drafting the POPLA appeal; will they get to read the appeal letter we sent to Parking Eye?
    ​OR do they make their decision based purely on what is said in the appeal and a view on supporting information. My point here is we didn't stipulate the issue over the increase in tariff when we appealed, assuming they'd play a straight bat and point us in the direction of the new signage which the driver had missed.
    Parking eye didn't provide the landowner's details as requested, nor the details of the contract. They said, "The parking Charges issued for, and on behalf of the landowner are levied on the basis of a contract with the motorist, set out via signage at the site. The signage details the conditions under which a motorist is authorised to park, be that by payment of the appropriate paid parking tariff or by parking within a limited stay period or similar, and that a parking charge will be payable, if the terms and conditions are breached."
    ​​​​​​
    The car park is monitored by ANPR and the PCN was received by post following their systems seeing the car had stayed for 4 hours but had paid the amount allowing it to stay only for 2 under the new prices.....

Any ideas?
    Tags: None

Look on the back of the letter. Does it mention Protection of freedoms act?

Of course you complain about not being received within 14 days and therefore there is no keeper liability

Comment

Thanks, no there's no mention of Protection of freedoms act.
      I hadn't got my head around the 14 day thing when I sent the appeal to Parking Eye, so thought it was relevant but I don't think it is now I've read more?

Comment

If there is no mention of Pofa on the reverse then PE know they didn't get POFA requirements correct and aren't able to chase the keeper, only the driver.

Has the driver been identified? Simple yes or no.

The suggested appeal for this would have been:

Dear Sirs,

I have just received your Notice to Keeper xxxxx for vehicle VRM xxxx

You have failed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to deliver the notice within the relevant period of 14 days as prescribed by section 9 (4) of the Act. You cannot, therefore, transfer liability for the alleged charge from the driver at the time to me, the keeper.

There is no legal requirement to name the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct.

Yours etc

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
          No driver definitely not identified.
          I've already taken that kind of appeal mentioned above to PE and it's been rejected....just wanted to know which approach to take with going to Popla? Do I suggest that by paying £2 the driver made a genuine error and thought it covered 4 hours and say their loss for that period was 50p so to chase someone for £100 is unjustified? (I never went down this route with the appeal to PE initially as I didn't think they would listen) so can I / should I now go down that route with POPLA?

I've read elsewhere that PE can disregard the POFA requirements in some circumstances. Sorry I may have misunderstood something somewhere else. I will try and find it and paste it into another comment.

Comment

No, you include within your POLA appeal the fact that they didn't deliver within 14 days. You can get the rest of what is required from a little reading on here and pepipoo forums. You question their contract and want proof of it not a witness statement saying it exists, Proof that they followed their Cop in making changes obvious to users.

Comment

Thanks Ostell, appreciate your time. I'll crack on with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X