• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received letter from Police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received letter from Police

This morning i received a letter from the police stating that i had been in a road collison and failed to stop. 2 offences that were ticked at the back were driving without due care and failing to stop. I called the number on the letter right away because i was totally baffled by the letter. I was told a cyclist said i was involved in a collison with them and didn't stop, didn't even know this happened. They have informed me to just state this on the response form and send it back but obviously this has me scared shitless now and i am left racking my brain as to when i could have collided with someone without knowing. I don't drink or do drugs, so not like i was outta my mind to not remember such an incident. They will look at CCTV cameras in the area and get back to me but i'm scared i've done something wrong unaware. I totally even forgot to ask the officer if the other person was ok but they might not have told me anything. I'm not sure what to think at this point, should i get a lawyer?
    Tags: None

Hi Boltstar

Try not to worry, it's pointless getting a solicitor at this stage because all you have is a letter with few facts, just thin allegations which they are still investigating.

It might be an idea to check your vehicle to see if there is any damage and hints of a collision.

I'm not saying this has happened, but it might be a cyclist who is upset at something you've done whilst you were driving.

The world of 'drivers and cyclists' isn't a happy one.

I would wait until you get more information, then post back.
    Last edited by echat11; 30th July 2021, 12:48:PM.

Comment

someone may have cloned your number plate? Good advice above. However ensure you photograph your response (or photocopy) and send it with cert of posting - you want to be able to prove you responded. I once had a similar case. A cyclist was "knocked off his bike" and the driver was accused. There was a trial (it is a few years ago so I con't remember the detail) but the cctv clearly showed the cyclist hit something and fell off but thought the driver had knocked him off. It also showed that from his position on the road the driver would not have seen the cyclist fall. Not guilty verdict.

Comment

echat11 islandgirl my car has no new scratches or dents. I will definitely post the reply via special delivery. I have since calmed down after a morning scare but i am still obviously slightly worried but worrying won't get me anywhere, so i will just have to wait and see. Thank you both

Comment

Originally posted by BoltStar View Post
          echat11 islandgirl my car has no new scratches or dents. I will definitely post the reply via special delivery. I have since calmed down after a morning scare but i am still obviously slightly worried but worrying won't get me anywhere, so i will just have to wait and see. Thank you both
          As Island Girl has advised make sure you save a copy for your records. It's good there are no 'new scratches or dents, sounds like mistaken identity.

Comment

Was the letter a notice of intended prosecution?

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post

Good question. BOLTSTAR - have you been asked to identify who the driver of the car was?

Also - for BOLTSTAR - if (and I only say "if", and not "when") it reaches the stage that the police want to "have a chat with you", and you still have no idea what this is all about, I understand that you should elect to be be interviewed at a police station and NOT in your home. IIRC that is because you are entitled to legal representation at a police station, and if you do not know what this is all about you need to be careful not to make any inadvertant admissions without a lawyer with you.

I'm warning you of that not to scare you, or because I think the police WILL want to interview you, I'm simply warning you about it just so you can be prepared if it does happen. (As others have said - it may simply be a case of mistaken identity form a registration number mis-read and nothing will come of it).

If the police do want to speak to you, check if a duty solicitor will be available at the station or you may want to arrange to bring one with you, if it gets that far. I don't think you need a solicitor yet - but think what to do if you do need one.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone else here will correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
                I don't think it said that, it was a questionnaire just asking who drives the car, insurance details etc and since i am the only one with access to the car, i put down my details. The location of the supposeded collison is indeed a road i take to work in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post

Good question. BOLTSTAR - have you been asked to identify who the driver of the car was?

Also - for BOLTSTAR - if (and I only say "if", and not "when") it reaches the stage that the police want to "have a chat with you", and you still have no idea what this is all about, I understand that you should elect to be be interviewed at a police station and NOT in your home. IIRC that is because you are entitled to legal representation at a police station, and if you do not know what this is all about you need to be careful not to make any inadvertant admissions without a lawyer with you.

I'm warning you of that not to scare you, or because I think the police WILL want to interview you, I'm simply warning you about it just so you can be prepared if it does happen. (As others have said - it may simply be a case of mistaken identity form a registration number mis-read and nothing will come of it).

If the police do want to speak to you, check if a duty solicitor will be available at the station or you may want to arrange to bring one with you, if it gets that far. I don't think you need a solicitor yet - but think what to do if you do need one.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone else here will correct me.
                  That was what i was sent in the post. To identify who owns the car and might have driven it and i am the only one with access to the car, so i put my details down. As stated above, i am the only person with access to the car and the location of the collison stated in the letter is a road i do take to work. I will take your advice on board but i am hoping it never reaches that stage

Comment

Do you have a car cam? If so I suppose it would have overwritten any CCTV by now.

Comment

You should inform your insurers of the possibility of a claim following this alleged incident of which you are unaware.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                        Do you have a car cam? If so I suppose it would have overwritten any CCTV by now.
                        No, i don't have one

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                          You should inform your insurers of the possibility of a claim following this alleged incident of which you are unaware.
                          I did have to submit my insurance information in the form i was sent. I will also inform my insurer, thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by BoltStar View Post

I don't think it said that, it was a questionnaire just asking who drives the car, insurance details etc and since i am the only one with access to the car, i put down my details. The location of the supposeded collison is indeed a road i take to work in the morning

The way you've said that ("I don't think etc...") does that mean you did not keep a copy of what they sent you and what you replied?

Comment

Hello,

I have now received an updated in the post today saying i am being charged with 3 offenses
                              1.Drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road/in a public place without due care and attention
                              2. Drive a vehicel fail to stop after road accident
                              3.Driver of a vehicle involved in a aroad accident fail to report that accidnet

In the letter, it states no evidence including CCTV apart from witness statements available. It advises i can plead guilty by post or in court and also i can plead not guilty by post.

The party states "I was cycling down xyz rd. Just as i reached the junction of xyz rd and xyz rd a car came speeding up beside me and cut in front of me turning left. I had no time to react and crashed into the rear left hand side of the car. This threw me from my bike and ended up on the road. some withnesses came to help and check i was ok. Other than feeling a bit bruised i felt ok. They pointed out there was cctv pointing at the junction that might have caught the incident".

The party also stated that they never caught my license number and it was someone else that gave it to them so can't say it's 100% correct.

I honestly do not know where to go from here because i do want to plead not guilty since i was not aware someone had crashed into my rear left side of the car otherwise i would have stopped. I usually have music playing in the car which might be why i never heard it?? I don't know at this point. The letter arrived with 2 witness statements including the involved party.

Please advise
                              Last edited by BoltStar; 10th December 2021, 15:00:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X