• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Speeding tickets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding tickets

OK so when it comes to being stupid I'm as stupid as it gets.. Iv managed to get cought speeding in a company van twice in the last 4 months.
    The company have received both the nips and passed on my details
    I've just received the nip for the most recent through the post but iv heard nothing about the first one.

How could this be? perhaps the first one has been lost in the post or do they ever choose to take no action?
    Regards Ash
    Tags: None

Confirm with your employer that they definitely received two NIPs in respect of two separate incidents, and that they returned both giving your details as the driver on both occasions.

If they are certain that they did, and you've only received your NIP in respect of the second one, I'd be inclined to contact your local safety camera partnership (or whatever they're called) and ask where the first one is. If they have sent it and it's got lost in the post, you don't want to end up being convicted on a "failure to identify" charge - that's much more serious than the speeding (6 points and a big increase in insurance for 5 years).

EDIT: I think there's no way they won't pursue it - so check with them that it's not lost.

Comment

Thanks for the reply I've just checked the dates, it's been 8 weeks since I give my emloyer my details to pass on to the road safety team. It' was 5 weeks for the nip to get to my employer as it went via a lease company.
      The second one (same raod safety team) has only taken 4 weeks for me to receive the nip.

Really on the fence about contacting them and putting my hand up. Surely iv done as much as I can by admitting I was driving and giving my details to them to pass on to the road sfaty team?

Comment

Originally posted by Ash101 View Post
        Thanks for the reply I've just checked the dates, it's been 8 weeks since I give my emloyer my details to pass on to the road safety team. It' was 5 weeks for the nip to get to my employer as it went via a lease company.
        The second one (same raod safety team) has only taken 4 weeks for me to receive the nip.

Really on the fence about contacting them and putting my hand up. Surely iv done as much as I can by admitting I was driving and giving my details to them to pass on to the road sfaty team?

But if your employer passed on your details and the road safety team has sent out your own s172 request which has got lost in the post, you run the risk of being convicted of failing to identify the driver - unless you can prove you never recieved it. The road safety team/police will have evidence that they sent it to you (if indeed they have sent it) and the way the law works is that it will presume that it was delivered to you two days after posting. If they have evidence it was sent to you, you will find it very difficult to prove you did not receive it. How would you do so? If the court would accept "Well, I never received it", everybody would try it!

Have you confirmed what I asked you in my earlier post? Were there definitely two NIPs?

Failure to identify the driver carries six points and your insurance will go through the roof for five years. (Insurance companies are very suspicious of clients who cannot or will not name a driver).

If you want to gamble on the police only following up the one they have already sent you - go ahead. Personally (and assuming there originally were two NIPs in play) I'd want to know what has happened to the second one.

They have six months from the date of the speeding offence to start proceedings for prosecuting that offence. In respect of failing to identify the driver, that offence is committed 28 days after they sent the s172 to you, and they have six months from that date to start proceedings for that offence.

Comment

Thanks very much for your knowledge and time my employer reckons they've passed on my information for both offences.
          I think it's best I give the camera safety team a call tomorrow.
          ​​​​​​Regards Ash

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X