• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejecting user car bought from delearship - woes and advice on settlement offered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting user car bought from delearship - woes and advice on settlement offered

Hi all, I'm new here - and I'll be as brief as I can

I'm looking for advice (or rather confirmation) that I'm taking the correct/sensible course of action

Back in October, my partner bought a used Astra from a dealer. During the test drive we asked if the car had previously been accident damaged, and were told that it had not.

In December, whilst driving on the motorway, the entire rear bumper fell off of the car and into the outside lane. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

When we retrieved the bumper, we could see the registration of the vehicle marked on the inside of the part - clearly indicating that it had previously been removed from the vehicle (likely due to repair).

We reported the issue to the dealer the following day - it was 2 months to the day since the car had been bought. The dealer refused to acknowledge their responsibility to repair, and was actually very hostile when I pointed out that the vehicle was certainly not "of satisfactory quality" or "fit for purpose" as per CRA (and likely not "as described" either)

By this time we'd only driven 1,300 miles in the car and due to it's damage was no longer usable or roadworthy

I consulted with legal service from RAC that's provided through my membership, and the solicitor I spoke to confirmed that there could be little doubt that the vehicle was neither of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose if it's bumper had fallen off less than 3 months after purchasing, and in normal usage

Getting nowhere on the phone, I sent the dealership a letter before action stating that we were rejecting the vehicle for the above reasons and wanted a full refund. I also mentioned some other issues that we'd noticed (a noise coming from the gearbox, which would be covered under the warranty)

This letter was delivered mid-December, so within the 3 months allowable for rejection of the vehicle.

The dealer did not respond to the letter before action, so I sent an email (attaching the letter before action) to remind them - but again, no response to this

In January we really needed to have use of the car, so decided that as the dealership had decided to ignore our offer of rejection and also to ignore our reports of issues that clearly fell under their warranty, the best (and cheapest) course of action for all involved would be if we were to get the repairs done ourselves, and then claim costs via Small Claims.

We therefore had the rear bumper replaced and sprayed by a local garage at a cost of £510. We chose to use pattern parts rather than genuine Vauxhall parts, to keep the costs as low as possible.

When collecting the car from the body shop, they told us that they'd noticed that there were various fixings and fasteners missing from the rear of the car, which had likely caused the bumper to fall off in the first place. They had replaced these, but also noticed other issues with the car - orange peeling due to poor accident repair work (at both front and rear of the car), misaligned panels etc - they recommended that we get the car inspected to determine the full extent of the issues

We therefore booked an AA Inspection (at £202). The AA inspector discovered that the car had suffered significant impact in the past to both the front and rear of the car (so much so that the air conditioning radiator had been punctured by the impact at the front, and most of the rear drivers side quarter replaced). Panel gaps at front and rear were not consistent, and it was also evident that the car had several other poorly performed repairs

We received the AA Inspection report via email which concluded "vehicle not suitable for purchase". That was the final straw - the car most certainly wasn't as described

Armed with this information, we then contacted the AA Cars Alternative Dispute Resolution service (the dealership we bought from is an AA Cars Dealership). They have liaised with the dealership and have offered us a full refund (£5600) - this is the same offer I made to the dealership in my letter before action back in December, which they chose to ignore

Since then, an additional £770 has ben spent of the vehicle - only because the dealership did not engage with us. I see this as wasted costs, to which the dealership is fully responsible for.

The ADR has told us that the dealership is unwilling to compensate for these costs

ADR told us that dealership has the right to deduct a "reasonable" fee for mileage and usage, so we're waiting to see what that may be.

ADR has also advised that if we accept this offer that we'd be able to pursue claim of our other costs via Small Claims - is this correct?

So having waffled on for a long while, should I accept the refund being offered, and pursue other costs separately? or is that not possible if I've already accepted the refund?

Is there a better way to proceed?

I'm comfortable arguing my case in Small Claims - I can demonstrate where dealership has broken CRA, where I've attempted to get them to comply with CRA (and they have refused), where they have broken their contract by refusing to even acknowledge warranty issues, and where we have sought to minimise costs to all parties by taking the least cost option as all points that have led to this conclusion

Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by leesbian; 17th March 2021, 16:59:PM.
    Tags: None

Only an unqualified opinion. I would accept the offer. If you had not spent additional money this would put you back in the same position as before purchase.
    Unfortunately you paid for repairs without any authorisation. I suspect this will be problematic to claim for.

Comment

The additional costs were incurred because the dealership didn't honour the responsibilities required of them under CRA

They've actually called to ADR today and rescinded the offer of a refund - not partially - in it's entirety

Previously, the dealership had called to make an offer, and had been very intimidating and aggressive on the phone, and when their initial offer was rejected they had said the call was being recorded.

We hadn't been told beforehand that the call was being recorded, consent had not been sought, nor had it been given - I therefore sent a GDPR Subject Access Request asking for a copy of the recording, and for it to then be deleted as it had been obtained illegally

This has apparently annoyed them and made them rescind their offer, which I don't think they can present as "reasonable behaviour" - the SAR is a perfectly legal means to ensure that personal data has been captured legally and is being used correctly (and can be made at any point, to any company)

Certainly, I'd expect any costs from this point onwards to be viewed as "wasted costs" - as an agreement had been reached

I'm formulating a letter to send to the ADR to summarise that I believe that the dealership is acting unreasonably to rescind their offer due to receiving a GDPR SAR from us

Comment

Besides the claim possibilities under CRA 2015 you have the possibility of a claim under the Misrepresentation Act.

IMO you would be better sending the dealer a letter before claim and preparing your court case.
        The dealer is not really engaging with the ADR in a meaningful manner, so there is little reason to go back to them

Comment

Thanks

i’d already sent a letter before action prior to starting the ADR procedure, do I need to send another?

Or, can I proceed straight to MCOL?

Comment

Depends on the wording of your LBA, but probably OK to initiate court action..
            It won't be fatal to your case not to send an LBA anyway

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X