• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

M6 toll road fine after barrier rose up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M6 toll road fine after barrier rose up?

I have been sent a fine letter from the M6 Toll Customer Services Team stating that they they can see that an attempt to make payment was made at the M6 toll booths but that I proceeded to leave the lane on a red light.

I know exactly the date that this happened as I was travelling to take my elderly father for a cataract operation. I drove up to the fully closed barrier and help my debit card up to the card reader to make payment, and the barrier rose up and I drove through. I neither looked at nor noticed that the light to the side was apparently still red; the barrier rose up after I held my card up to the reader, so I drove on!

Has anyone else experienced this? I spoke to customer services who refuse to listen to my reasoning that because the barrier rose up it was a clear indicator to me that payment had been made and they simply state that because the light was still red, I should not have driven away and am liable for the fee plus extra admin costs as the matter has been sent to a debt collector. I find this so incredible that I actually thought it was a scam which was the reason for my delay; I have used the toll road literally hundreds of times over the years and the barrier has never raised up before unless payment had been made!
    Tags: None

I have just received the same letter after I travelled through on the 14 December. Did you or anyone else get anywhere with this?

Comment

I've heard of this happening on other occasions, the problem being the driver has gone through a red light
      It creates a problem:

Statutory Instrument 2003 No 2186 The M6 Toll (collection of Tolls) Regulations 2003 states at 3 (4):
      (4) When a red light is displayed at a toll-booth or a barrier is blocking the exit from a toll-booth, the driver of a vehicle shall not allow the vehicle to proceed beyond the toll-booth until a green light is displayed and any barrier blocking the exit is raised or a constable or an appointed person allows or directs him to proceed.

Posting on Pepipoo may produce more advice

Comment

Just had a similar letter through - the car in front took 5 minutes to get through, card presented ,barrier went up so off she drove. They have cctv of the attempt to pay but they want the DVLA fees paid on top of the toll. has anyone got anywhere with this?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X