• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intermittent Fault on PCP Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Fault on PCP Car

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I purchased a new car in May 2018, on the week I purchased the car I took it back to the dealership to raise an issue in regards to a whining noise coming from the engine and an intermittent slight hesitation when pulling away, it was taken out by myself and a technician on a road test at this point, however from my discussions with the dealership they have no log of this visit as I had spoken to the salesperson and advised just to drop in.

I was told during this road test that it was absolutely fine and as it was a new car it would ease off over the following months.

I then took the car in for it's annual service and I informed the technicians of the same delay they informed me they had updated the software to the transmission and it should be alright... unfortunately it wasn't... In June during a drive I nearly had an accident on a roundabout due to the hesitation.

Since this point I have been in contact with Renault customer service and the car has been returned to dealerships approximately 12 times, this current time period for 3 weeks, we have also had another 5-6 near misses with the delay on the car.

After the initial dealership noticed the issue but was unsure of how to fix the issue, it was then advised to me to take the vehicle to a different dealership for a 'second opinion'.

This dealership has had the car 3 times including this* time for 3 weeks, where they have said they were unable to replicate the issue.

Where do I stand with the ability to reject the car as it makes me feel sick to my stomach having to drive it and gives me a slight panic attack due to the amount of near crashes we've had due to the hesitation.

The car is an automatic, I have driven many other automatic cars and have never had this issue previously.

Please let me know if you require any further information and any advice you have would be much appreciated as I feel completely lost!
    Tags: None

Apologies for missing your post originally

I think you might have a problem rejecting the vehicle now.
    You took delivery in May 2018, and highlighted a possible problem a week later, but this was verbally and there is no record of it.
    In May 2019 you took it in for its annual service and mention the problem again.
    The problem still exists.

As it is now more than 6 months since delivery, although you might still be able to reject the vehicle, you would have to prove the fault existed when the vehicle was delivered.
    Even if you overcame that hurdle and your rejection was accepted or upheld in court, you would not receive a full refund as a deduction for usage would be made.

Have you kept the finance house informed? Rejection would need to be addressed to them.

As you have had the vehicle for nearly three years perhaps you are near to having paid 50% and could voluntarily terminate the agreement.
    That might be a better and easier solution than trying to reject.

Tagging R0b for alternate view perhaps

Comment

Hi!

Thank you for your response.

I am now slightly further along with this, I made a complaint to RCI finance, their response consisted of saying they'd communicated with Renault UK and their findings were there was no fault with the vehicle and therefore they said there was no fault in the vehicle.

Since then I raised the complaint with motor ombudsman and their take was that it was raised within the 6 month time period. The original dealership had already booked the car in and this time it was given to their senior technician who immediately determined there was a problem with the vehicle.

This has lead to a subsequent replacement of the clutch and gearbox. (I currently don't have the car due to waiting for parts for other issues)! So haven't had a chance to check the fix.

I also discovered that the dealership it was in for many weeks as mentioned above said they took the car for 140 miles worth of driving, however when checking the dashcam it only shows the car moving around the parking lot, I also took the car out with the service manager at this dealership who had the issue however the service manager denied that the issue occurred.

I am still nervous about collecting the car, however where do I stand with the fact there was an issue with the car, had been since purchase and only after 3 years of fighting has the fault been recognised and hopefully resolved.

I also have concerns that if I am forced to take the car back the warranty expires in May and I am concerned that any fault which was hidden by this issue may now come to light after the warranty has expired.

Thank you
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

I think you have answered your own question of where you stand when you say " the fault been recognised and hopefully resolved"
        If it turns out the fault has not been solved you are back to a situation where you can reject the car.
        Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives the trader the right to one attempt at repair.
        If that fails your right to reject is restored.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X