• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Did Private Seller Misrepresent Used Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Private Seller Misrepresent Used Vehicle

Hi,

I recently bought a used vehicle from a private seller, and subsequently discovered that the claim, for a "Full Service History", made in the advert I responded to was not true - in fact there was no documentary evidence of any servicing taking place for the last six years.

By the time I had discovered this, I had taxed & insured the vehicle, filled the fuel tank, and sold my previous vehicle.

I engaged in a text conversation with the seller which seems to confirm that they were aware that the claim for a full service history was false, but also claiming that the website they posted the ad to had forced the claim and that they were unable to change it.
    I subsequently learned, by creating my own ad, that this claim was also false.

I believe that this would constitute a fraudulent misrepresentation of the vehicle under the Misprepresentation act 1967.

I asked them to cover the cost for an examination of the vehicle to see whether it had suffered any issues that might have resulted from lack of servicing, which they refused to do.
    They offered a full refund, or a payment of £25 by way of apology if I kept the car.

I refused the refund as I had already made further expenditures and had no other vehicle to fall back on, and I refused the payment, as I did not believe it represented appropriate compensation.

I submitted the vehicle for examination at my own cost and there were several findings ::-
    - The car was indeed well overdue for a major service
    - There faults in the suspension, which would likely have been diagnosed and rectified during a previous service
    - The service centre also stated that the car in it's current state would not pass an MoT test.

I gave the go-ahead for a full service, and to bring the car up to MoT test standard.
    It subsequently turned out after the cooling system was drained and re-filled that there was a hole in the radiator, that required a replacement unit. This fault also should have been diagnosed and rectified during a previous service.

The total costs for this work was £937.

I have written a letter to the seller fully laying out what has occurred, and asking for some compensation to cover a portion of my costs.

They have responded to say that the misrepresentation was a "mistake", and that the text messages which indicate that it was a fraudulent misrepresentation was a "miscommunication"
    They believe that their offer of a full refund was sufficient to absolve them of any further liability and will not be offering any compensation.

As I understand it, the Misrepresentation Act 1967 makes allowance for the purchaser to refuse rescission of the contract and seek damages instead where the subject of the contract cannot be restored.
    Given that I had already made additional expenditures and sold my previous vehicle at the time I discovered the misrepresentation, am I correct to believe that I had proper grounds to refuse the offer of a full refund, as it would have resulted in me being out of pocket and with no transport?

I am now considering going to the small claims court to request compensation, but would really appreciate some further advice before I do so.

Regards,
    sllewji
    Tags: None

Hi des8 I see that you've made some comments on similar issues in the past, I'd really appreciate it if you could provide some input on this if possible.

Comment

If a court agrees there was misrepresentation it can award damages if equitable, taking into account the loss that would be caused by rescission.

What was the reason for taking delivery of the vehicle without seeing the service history first?

Comment

Hi Des8 - Thanks for the reply.

The car manual / service book initially couldn't be found (a parent was selling the vehicle on behalf of their son), so it was verbally confirmed that the service history was in order during the viewing, I had no reason to believe otherwise.
        The manual / service book were eventually found in a hidden storage compartment in the car just as I was leaving the viewing having purchased the car.I didn't get to look at the service history in detail until the next day.

Comment

Pages have been written on the difference between misrepresentation and mistake.
          In this case, for how long did the seller own the car?
          If he had owned it for sometime he would have known the service history was not up to date
          If he was selling it on after shortly purchasing it, was he relying on what he had been told?
          If he was selling it on after shortly purchasing it, that gives rise to the question of whether or not he is in fact a dealer, and why was the parent selling it?
          I think perhaps some more digging

Comment

Hello Des8,

The car had been in the family for the past six years. It was first registered to the daughter, and then the son, with the car apparently being garaged unused for the last year or so. They would certainly have known the car had not been serviced during this time.
            The son now having left uni, got a job and moved out of the family home, the mother was left to transact the sale.

The advert I responded to was written by the son, who would have had to consciously select the "full service history" option on the trading website.

Having first claimed that the trading website had forced the Full service history" listing, and that this option could not be changed before the ad went live (neither of which in fact are true), mother is now claiming that the son thought that "full service history" meant full MoT history.

Regards
            sllewji

Comment

" mother is now claiming that the son thought that "full service history" meant full MoT history. "
              Was that said with a straight face?

If he is now refusing to negotiate I would certainly be contemplating a Letter before Action, with a view to initiating court proceedings after Christmas

Comment

Hello Des8,

I sincerely appreciate you your input, thanks - I'll get straight on to a Letter before Action.

If I've correctly interpreted the misrepresentation act, even if the the claim for MoT history is accepted, it could still count as negligent misrepresentation in any case, which I believe is treated similarly to fraudulent misrepresentation.

Regarding the "straight face" comment, funnily enough the car does not in fact have a full MoT history either, I assume due to the year it was garaged.

Regards,
                sllewji

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X