• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vehicles Parked at Owner’s Risk – Enforceable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicles Parked at Owner’s Risk – Enforceable?

Hi there,
    We have a staff car park at work, it is heavily oversubscribed and abused by people who could easily walk but chose to drive to work for convenience.

Several years ago, my vehicle was hit in the work car park by a colleague’s car. The colleague was not driving the car at the time, the premises manager was. He often moves vehicles around in the car park during the day (due to the overcapacity) to save disturbing staff members from their work. Very helpful, but he does not treat vehicles with respect and has hit several in my time here, and just doesn't care.

After the incident (which I did not take action over as my car was old), a “Vehicles Parked at Owner’s Risk” sign went up in the car park.

My question is, how enforceable is this? The car park is privately owned by my employer. My employer is the government. Other owners are surrendering their keys to someone and allowing them to drive their vehicles - not something I am comfortable with. I do not agree to this, so do not leave my keys with anyone as I am the legal owner and only driver of my vehicle.

My reasons for asking are that my old car is not going to last much longer and I am going to have to get something shiny and new. I am petrified it is going to get damaged and I will have no recourse of holding the offender to account.

I would be grateful of any advice. I would love to not use my car but work is a 85 mile round trip away, so a car is very much necessary.

Tags: None

Hello

I suppose my question is who are you wanting to take action against? The short answer to your question is that disclaimers won't apply to everything, for example personal injury or death. It can, however, apply to damage to property subject to reasonableness.

Having said that, I would take the view that the sign would relate to any claim you make against your employer not the individual driver of the vehicle. Therefore I think you could very at least attempt to pursue the driver for the damage caused to the vehicle.

Equally, there may be an argument that the employer (either the government or a third party?) may be liable vicariously for the actions of that employee. It's been a while since I've touched on vicarious liability that usually applies in an employee/employer situation but not sure if that would also extend to two parties who are not in an employee/employer relationship i.e. the driver and the third party who drives their vehicle; I don't think it does without double checking but i'm sure someone more in the know could answer that.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

My take is similar to R0b's in that I think:
      Clearly if the premises manager is authorised by the employer to move the vehicles the employer has a duty of care towards other vehicles parked there.and would be liable.
      If he does not have that authority,.but acts negligently during the course of their employment the employer will be vicariously liable to the third party .
      However it is also possible that the owner who gives him permission to move the car is vicariously liable to an injured third party as the manager is acting as the owner's agent

Comment

My 2 penn'orth.

Imho, the driver of the vehicle should do some sort of risk assessment before attempting to move the vehicle, permission given or not.
        It is possible that, as des8 states, the firm could be vicariously liable,
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Was he insured (names driver), for that vehicle? If not your claim is against the insured driver.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X