• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Appealing a speeding ticket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appealing a speeding ticket

Hi all hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have been issued with a NIP from Staffs Police dated 23/12/18, only received today due to being a company car so obviously takes a while to actually reach me. The offence is 37 in a 30 caught on manned equipment. I have logged onto the site to view photos etc and the shot is of the rear of the vehicle. I will hold my hands up admit I was driving don’t recall speeding or seeing a van at the time but thats by the by. My query is that when I look to see if the camera was calibrated the site says that there is no information available for the camera. Would I be able tonappeal on these grounds and if so how do I go about it? Do I first need to admit I was driving then appeal when the fine comes through the post or appeal at time of admitting the offence?

Thanks in advance for any help

Tags: None

You need first to complete section 172 notice naming the driver.

You will probably then receive a FPN for £100 plus 3 points.or offered a speed awareness course (for which you pay)
    If you get a summons to court , the best advice is to plead guilty and submit details of earnings etc
    The penalty there will be be 3 points plus a fine of between 25% and 75% of your weekly income.

Until you get the FPN or summons it is not worth trying to get calibration certificate
    If you ask and are refused it you will have to plead "not guilty" and opt for court.
    Then either at a case management hearing, or court itself you will have to explain your not guilty plea.
    The prosecution will produce paperwork, and if you can then show the camera had not been calibrated and then convince the magistrate it was inaccurate.....

Quite frankly, IMO unless there are particular circumstances (already on nine points, might lose job etc) it just isn't worth the hassle and stress (plus the risk of losing and getting the maximum penalties)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X