• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Studded winter tyres

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studded winter tyres

Hi all, I live quite high up in Scotland, I am going to fit Nokian studded tyres to my car for the winter, now having googled this I see that most advise is telling me that these are illegal in the UK.

However this is NOT backed up on all sites I visited, some say legal others say illegal.

So does anyone know the real answer Or do I take A chance?

I had studded tyres on last winter & didn't get stuck once!

Phill
    Tags: None

As far as I know they aren't specifically illegal in themselves however if studded tyres are used where there is not heavy snow/ice they can cause damage to the road which breaches 27.1(h) The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

That seems to be the part that covers it, although I know it isn't a 'defect'. Your best bet is to check with your local Police and if you're venturing South, particularly on the Motorway, change them to standard Winter tyres. Or use snowchains while in the Highlands easier to take off I'd assume when you get to cleared roads.

des8 will probably know more definitively.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      As far as I know they aren't specifically illegal in themselves however if studded tyres are used where there is not heavy snow/ice they can cause damage to the road which breaches 27.1(h) The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

That seems to be the part that covers it, although I know it isn't a 'defect'. Your best bet is to check with your local Police and if you're venturing South, particularly on the Motorway, change them to standard Winter tyres. Or use snowchains while in the Highlands easier to take off I'd assume when you get to cleared roads.

des8 will probably know more definitively.
      Thing is modern studded tyres are far less damaging to the road surface than those of just 10 years ago.

I've actually been running them for the last 3 years, I had studded Insa turbo winters first, which even though they are an older style winter tyre, never let me down.

The Nokian Hakkapeliittas are amazing, Had great fun last year driving along roads that most 4x4s would struggle with!!

Phill

Comment

I don't doubt it. If you've been fine for last few years is there a reason you've raised a concern over the legality now ? I suspect the penalty for using them would be less than the pain of not using them, if you know what I mean. I don't know what the penalties would be though so maybe check that out and weigh up pros and cons.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          I don't doubt it. If you've been fine for last few years is there a reason you've raised a concern over the legality now ? I suspect the penalty for using them would be less than the pain of not using them, if you know what I mean. I don't know what the penalties would be though so maybe check that out and weigh up pros and cons.
          The reason I'm asking now is because it was mentioned on a tyre site that they are now illegal.

As I said, I live high up, so while most people won't see much snow & ice, my village is often cut off on both sides due to drifting snow which soon gets compacted & very hard to get through except with these tyres!

Phill

Comment

Don't think anything changed. There was a Bill on age of tyres but it didn't go through ( and think that only related to Bus/Coaches )

You might need to inform your insurers though - https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/...commitment.pdf
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Come to this late, but my understanding has been that studded tyres are not illegal per se, but if you are caught damaging the road surface you could face prosecution. The same applies to using chains in that if you don't remove them in the absence of snow/ice and damage the road surface there could be consequences

The older studded tyres did tend to pit the road surface in the absence of snow/ice, but the current tyres seem not to do this.
              There are also winter tyres of varying quality available for those driving in wintry conditions

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X