• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

notice of intention to prosecute speeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notice of intention to prosecute speeding

Hi

my wife has received an NIP form, requesting to know who the driver was on a recent trip back down rhthe A303.

We genuinely don’t know who was driving, she has a clean license and I have 9 points (I know stupid).

Whats the best course of action, to highlight we don’t know and for her to write a letter requesting a copy of photographic eveidence?

Im aware that she may get drawn into a process, and any correspondence could end up in court so want to ensure we take the right steps forwards.

Obviuosly if it as me then it’s a little different, would I be able to take advantage if a speed awareness course or is 9 points too many?

And i I know I need to slow down.

The speed was 85 on a dual carriage way of 70.

Many thanks
    Steve
    Tags: None

I'm not sure but I think over 79 would be points with no option of speed awareness course although it is more likely as a first offence than with 9 points.

You can ask the police force who issued the NIP for a picture to help identify the driver. Some force do provide them, some don't.

If it was you, with your 9 points, then obviously it's going to cause an issue. Do you need to drive for work ? With 12 points you can attend court and put forward mitigation as to why you can't lose your licence.

Presumably the car is registered in your wifes name as she received the NIP.

Are you both insured to drive the car?
    Had you been on a trip together that day ?
    Any stops for fuel / snacks etc ?
    ( memory jogging wise)
    etc etc.

Someone else will look in shortly I'm sure with more help.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Dear xxxx

I am in receipt of a Notice of Intended Prosecution for vehicle registration xxxxxx, at camera location yyyyyy at date and time zzzzzz. To aid in the identification of the driver I would be grateful if you could supply me any photos of the vehicle that may be available.

Yours Faithfully

xxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Failing to give details of driver is a serious offence one of you was driving tell the police who not knowing is no excuse sorry to say.

Comment

No, but you can be unsure and ask for more information before responding if you really can't recall. I had one a while back which took some serious working out to remember who was driving on that stretch of road at that time.. that's trouble with sharing a car and going to same places all the time. Like today, my other half picked son up from the station, I usually do, so if in a few weeks a NIP dropped through the letter box we'd likely just assume it was me unless we kept a note ( I'd know now as I've written it down of course ). ( actually today I'd know as I texted son to let him know who was picking him up and why he was late lol )

And, before anyone has a go, it would be easy for the OP just to have gone, shit, lets say it was the wife... so I'd say there is a genuine concern over who was actually driving at the time.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst, we’ve requested a photo so we can see from that. As you rightly say this isn’t about avoidance it’s about citing the correct person as the driver.

thanks

Comment

It was definitely you! 85mph, does your wife really go that fast not even on a Motorway.

And you have form don't you, LOL

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X