• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motorcycle Licence question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Licence question

Hi guys,

this is just a general question, I don't know if I am going to do this yet!!

I am seriously considering taking my motorcycle test and getting 2 wheels to go to and from work. I have done a CBT previously, but the bike I had was a 50cc and didn't need a proper licence, I could do it on my current one if that makes sense! I am hearing loads of things about doing your test on a 1000cc or an 1100cc bike as you then can ride anything up to that cc and you don't get stuck on a moped for 3 years, but I don't know if I would be comfortable doing that.

Does anyone know if I need to do that or is that all baloney? I am 40 if that makes a difference?

cheers

Callie
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)
    Tags: None

Oh Callie... I gave up m/c before I reached 40 and here you are contemplating becoming a hells angel (on a Harley?) lol

You may find your answer here https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements, as it depends on what sort of licence you now have and how long ago you did your CBT

Comment

Thanks des8 .
      If only I looked that skinny in leathers!! I will probably look like a right heifer!

I've always been a biker chick, just normally I'm pilly!
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Yes, if you take your full bike test on a 125cc then you have to wait 3 years to ride on an any CC bike. PS it's darned difficult to push a 'big' bike in the test, you have to do a walking the bike element, and also the swerve and stop move is far harder as they make you ride faster.

If you take it on a 650cc for example then you are free to ride any bike. The rub here is you are not legal to ride to the test centre on that 650cc bike unless someone who has passed their test is accompanying you, and you must of course display L plates.

You CANNOT ride around learning on the 650cc bike unaccompanied, you could only do that on a 125cc after taking the CBT every 2 years.

I found this out when reading forums that I thought I could ride any bike with L plates on with by car licence, the guy at the test centre was clearly looking round for who accompanied me (no-one whoops!). Thankfully he didn't say anything and we went on the test and I passed easily.

Comment

I did a direct access course …. it was pretty quick and easy tbh, and the bike rental was included. Pretty sure after the CBT on the 125, I did the full test on a 250cc and I rode a 600cc straight after, but it was about 15 years ago and cost a fair whack even then.

Here's the info https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ining-guidance

ooo about £750 now apparently DAS - http://www.derbyshiremotorbikeschool...ence-training/
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Blimey I didn't know you rode bikes Ame.

I took my bike test in my early twenties (passed first time of course lol). I can't remember what sized bike it was on but it allow you to ride any sized bike once you passed in those days. I don't know why I bothered to be honest as I've never had a road bike. Oh now I remember, I got my first KDX200 in USA (before they were available in the UK), got it tricked out and shipped it back home so I could do a few rounds of the British Enduro Championship where you had to have a road registered bike to enter.

In fact here it is at a desert race in Southern California in about 1980 something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1407836

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X