• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Back dated council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back dated council tax

Hi,

Part of the ground floor or our family home was converted into a studio apartment about 40 years ago. Apparently it did not have planning permission and the council found out. We have now had to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. If granted I am worried that the council will back date council tax on the studio apartment?

Can they do this and how far back can they go? Full council tax has always been paid on the house. If they do start charging council tax for the studio will they reduce the council tax on the house as the current council tax is paid on the whole house (including the studio) but it is registered as one property

Any advice is much appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Back dated council tax

Bump

Comment

I believe it can only be backdated to the date it is entered on the list as a separate property. - from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/11/made

Landlord Zone may be a better forum to ask the question on - they are far more experienced in this area and will know what happens in practice.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As I read it it comes into effect from "the day on which the circumstances giving rise to the alteration occurred"?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X