• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Council tax issues

    Hi I'm new on here and wonder if anyone can help?

    I've had debt letter of the council for council tax for a residence I have never lived at. I have responded to the same letter for about 6 years. I have informed them that I have never lived at that address, I did live at another address and pay council tax at the other address but no longer have a evidence trail as it is about 7 years or longer and was not a named person. I can provide an audit trail through my bank if needed.

    They are currently threatening bailiff action, in previous correspondence I have affirmed that they would find no evidence of me living at that address such as tv licence, rent agreement gas or electric bills as I did not live there.

    Can anyone help? can they force me to pay a bill by bullying and threating bailiff action or do they have to prove a I lived there of which they cant.

    I have responded numerous times over the years but they never respond to my letters, I more than happy to go to court and present my case but they just send bailiff letters.

    I am a law abiding person who pays full council tax and never had issues with the council in other areas I have lived over the years.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Council tax issues

    Firstly, a bailiff can only act under a court order, so the council must obtain that from a court before they can ask a bailiff to intervene.

    If it was me. I would write a letter (attaching some copies of their correspondence) re-affirming that you have never lived there are telling them to stop contacting you. I would also state that if they continue to harass you over a debt that cannot possibly exist in your name, you will take legal action to restrain them from harassing you and seek compensation. That should focus their attention, but then I'm an awkward sod!


    • #3
      Re: Council tax issues


      Write and email a complaint to the head of revenues ( 151 officer ) , do it formally,

      Inform them that they are chasing a none exsitant debt, and that if the accounts not corrected within 14r days, you would like to register it as a corporate complaint automaticaly.

      Everyone else in the chain will just mess you about and waste you time. the above will sort it out within 14 days usualy, with the least ammount of paperwork from you
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


      No announcement yet.

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      upgrade to vip

      Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

      only £15/yr

      Offers available. No subscription traps.

      sign up now

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm